Alpine Adventures: a South African guide to conquering Swiss Epic

News bot

South Africans love a marathon stage race. For those privileged enough to have ticked Cape Epic off the bucket list, its Alpine cousin the Swiss Epic seems like an excellent next step. When Bike Hub were offered the chance to experience the Swiss Epic first-hand with just six week’s notice there was unbridled chaos in the ranks. The Bike Hub boys have been on a bit of a mountain biking sabbatical, and I’d taken a big break post Cape Epic, and was wallowing in self-pity in the particularly miserable Cape winter. But fit or not, the chance to ride the […]

View full article

Awesome stuff, that scenery is just magical. I was fortunate enough to race the Trans Alps many years ago and one of my fondest memories is the sound of the cow bells echoing in the valley as you're climbing those massive mountains. You're right though, nothing in SA can prepare you for the Alps, the scale of them is off the charts. Well done for finishing, it looked like an amazing adventure.

6 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Awesome stuff, that scenery is just magical. I was fortunate enough to race the Trans Alps many years ago and one of my fondest memories is the sound of the cow bells echoing in the valley as you're climbing those massive mountains. You're right though, nothing in SA can prepare you for the Alps, the scale of them is off the charts. Well done for finishing, it looked like an amazing adventure.

It was! The level of riding really impressed me, I felt like a small fish in a big pond in those mountains. It was also so cool to see Kim and Vera smashing the ladies field. With no team support either! 

this does look awesome. I know everything is covered once you hit the *** I'm too scared too ask what the week would cost all in for a team of two and with a few days either side of the event...

16 minutes ago, Kylie said:

It was! The level of riding really impressed me, I felt like a small fish in a big pond in those mountains. It was also so cool to see Kim and Vera smashing the ladies field. With no team support either! 

It's Bottelary Hills for me ............................... 😏

19 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

this does look awesome. I know everything is covered once you hit the *** I'm too scared too ask what the week would cost all in for a team of two and with a few days either side of the event...

Aside from the entry:

2 nights Accommodation R2k/ night including breakfast

Flights R20k

Trains etc. R3k

So say R30k all-in. I made the hotel breakfasts go pretty far ;) and didn't dive into the wine (or anything else- prices are pretty wild!)

3 hours ago, Kylie said:

Aside from the entry:

2 nights Accommodation R2k/ night including breakfast

Flights R20k

Trains etc. R3k

So say R30k all-in. I made the hotel breakfasts go pretty far ;) and didn't dive into the wine (or anything else- prices are pretty wild!)

Very, very reasonable for Swiss!!  BTW what is the cost of an entry, must be pretty steep with those hotels.

11 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

Very, very reasonable for Swiss!!  BTW what is the cost of an entry, must be pretty steep with those hotels.

I can't find the exact value in CHF now, but it was about R95k/ team. I think they are able to get great deals on Ski hotels in the summer when the towns are empty: https://www.epic-series.com/swissepic-riders-package

Still a huge amount of cash, but compares favourably with Cape Epic in terms of value!

I followed Kylie and Ila's trip on the 'gram!!!

Super proud of you two and i had so much FOMO.

I was lucky enough to do it in 2022. It was the week before MTB Champs in Les Gets, so afterwards i rented a car in Zurich and drove down to France and spent a week in Morzine!!

My race entry, air and train tickets, stay in Arosa before Swiss Epic, car rental for a week and my stay in Morzine came in at around +/- 90-92k

I was away for 21days, if you compare that to half a Cape Epic entry, which is now 55k, it surely is a no brainer!!!!

The party in Les Gets after a French 1, 2, 3 in the Saturday Downhill, was alone worth 55K - HAHAAAAAAA. 

When Bruni crossed the finish at around 17:15 until the wee hours of Sunday!!!!! Old, young, fat, skinny, male, female, you name it!

I digress, the Swiss Epic is one hell of a race!!! Like what has been said already, nothing you'll ever do here.

I went there thinking August weather in Euroland will be awesome, nothing as hot as March Africa! I cannot try and describe how 'hot' (read - LONG AND STEEP) those climbs were HAHAAAAAA. 

I LOVED EVERY METER of suffering! The views and those awesome downhills are SOOOOOO rewarding, made me suffer up those climbs with a smile on my face.

Would i do it again, in a heartbeat!!!!

3 hours ago, BMCfan said:

I followed Kylie and Ila's trip on the 'gram!!!

Super proud of you two and i had so much FOMO.

I was lucky enough to do it in 2022. It was the week before MTB Champs in Les Gets, so afterwards i rented a car in Zurich and drove down to France and spent a week in Morzine!!

My race entry, air and train tickets, stay in Arosa before Swiss Epic, car rental for a week and my stay in Morzine came in at around +/- 90-92k

I was away for 21days, if you compare that to half a Cape Epic entry, which is now 55k, it surely is a no brainer!!!!

The party in Les Gets after a French 1, 2, 3 in the Saturday Downhill, was alone worth 55K - HAHAAAAAAA. 

When Bruni crossed the finish at around 17:15 until the wee hours of Sunday!!!!! Old, young, fat, skinny, male, female, you name it!

I digress, the Swiss Epic is one hell of a race!!! Like what has been said already, nothing you'll ever do here.

I went there thinking August weather in Euroland will be awesome, nothing as hot as March Africa! I cannot try and describe how 'hot' (read - LONG AND STEEP) those climbs were HAHAAAAAA. 

I LOVED EVERY METER of suffering! The views and those awesome downhills are SOOOOOO rewarding, made me suffer up those climbs with a smile on my face.

Would i do it again, in a heartbeat!!!!

Perfect summary ;) it's just an all round experience!