[Event] 12 & 3 Hours of Killarney

Pedal Power Association

Event Name: 12 & 3 Hours of Killarney
When: 22/10/2023
Where: Killarney Gardens, Cape Town, Western Cape
Category: Road

12 & 3 Hours of Killarney

PPA 12 Hours of Killarney is back! Not only will we have the 12-hour challenge, but we have also added a 3-hour challenge for the less daring. Join us on Sunday, 22 October 2023, at the prestigious Killarney Motor Racing Track in Milnerton. This is your chance to test your endurance legs and showcase your biking prowess. You can participate as a solo rider, team up with a partner for a dynamic duo, or assemble a formidable team of four riders. Come and experience the thrill of PPA 12 Hours of Killarney!

Get ready for an exhilarating challenge, the track is a 3.276 km loop that is fairly flat with long straights that will push your endurance to the limit. How many laps can you conquer in a mere 12 hours? Will you surpass the incredible 2018 record of 140 laps (Solo)? If you do, you’ll have the chance to win a cash prize.

For pairs and teams, get ready for thrilling relay action, with one rider on the track at a time. The best part? You have the freedom to decide when to switch riders or take a well-deserved rest. While a minimum number of laps guarantees a bronze medal, the choice is yours regarding lap distribution among team members. As a solo rider, you have the flexibility to decide when to ride and how many laps to conquer before taking a break.

The event officially kicks off at 07h00, but if you’re not aiming for the lap record challenge, feel free to start your cycling adventure anytime between 07h00 and 09h00. Just remember, for your final lap to count towards medals and prizes, it must commence before 19h00 and be completed by 19h10.

Coffee will be on sale from 06h00 and the restaurant will open at 09h00.

Medals in the 12-hour solo challenge will be performance-based:

· Gold medals to the top 10 solo riders and top female solo rider;

· Silver medals to all riders completing 60 laps and more;

· Bronze medals to all riders completing between 35-59 laps.

Medals in the 12-hour dynamic duo challenge will be performance-based:

· Gold medals to the top 3 dynamic duo teams with a minimum of 10 laps per rider;

· Silver medals to teams completing 60 laps and more with a minimum of 10 laps per rider;

· Bronze medals to teams completing between 20-59 laps with a minimum of 10 laps per rider.

Medals in the 12-hour teams of four riders challenge will be performance-based:

· Gold medals to the top 3 teams of four teams with a minimum of 10 laps per rider;

· Silver medals to teams completing 100 laps and more with a minimum of 10 laps per rider;

· Bronze medals to teams completing between 40-99 laps with a minimum of 10 laps per rider.

Prize-giving ceremony for the 12-hour challenge will take place at 19h30 or as soon as the results are finalised.

This year we will also introduce a 3-hour challenge for the younger riders as well as riders who are not comfortable sitting in the saddle for 12 Hours. This will only be open as a solo challenge and the top 3 male and top 3 female riders will receive prizes and special medals. All other riders who complete the 3-hour challenge will receive a finisher medal. The three-hour challengers will start at 09h00 with their last lap starting by 12h00 and completed by 12h10. Prize-giving ceremony for the 3-hour challenge will take place at 13h00 or as soon as the results are finalised.

ONLINE ENTRIES: Entries close on Tuesday, 17 October 2023 at 09h00

12-hour Challenge

Solo: R370 PPA Member and R470 Non Member:

Dynamic Duo: R640 PPA Member and R840 Non Member

Team of four riders: R1080 PPA Member and R1480 Non Member

Solo entries: https://online.entries.co.za/entries/findperson.aspx?pa=se&eid=5137

Team entries: https://online.entries.co.za/entries/findperson.aspx?eid=5136&act=setgroup

3-hour Challenge:

Solo entries only: R120 PPA Member and R220 Non Member

Enter here: https://online.entries.co.za/entries/findperson.aspx?pa=se&eid=5137

Sunday, 22 October 2023

06h00 -09h00

Killarney Raceway

WATERPOINT:

There will be a self-supported waterpoint stocked with drinks and water in the neutral zone. Please use sparingly as it must last for the entire duration of the event. Please ensure that you have your own water bottle to fill-up.

EVENT RULES:

Tri-bikes and electrical bikes not allowed.

It’s a relay: Only one rider per team will be allowed on the track at a time.

The 12-hour challenge starts at 07h00 and the last must commence before 19h00 and be completed by 19h10.

The 3-hour challenge starts at 09h00 and the last must commence before 12h00 and be completed by 12h10.

Riders of the 12-hour challenge are welcome to start their ride any time between 07h00 and 09h00 on the morning of the event.

To qualify for the team medals in the 12-hour challenge, each rider in the team must complete a minimum of 10 full laps of the required amount.

Any riders or teams found cheating will be disqualified.

Please report any injuries or danger on the track at the start/finish to our crew.

SPECTATOR INFORMATION AND REGULATIONS:

Gazebo’s will be allowed in a designated area. Please make use of the space sparingly in order to ensure that everyone is accommodated.

Solo riders will be allowed to setup on the grass next to the track in the cornered of area, teams will be allowed to setup camp just outside the track on the grass in the designated area.

No cars will be allowed in the spectator area.

No open fires or gas stoves will be allowed.

Snacks and supplement drinks will be allowed and please do support the restaurant.

No liquor may be brought onto the premises.

No spectators will be allowed on the track at any time. We will ask you to leave the transition area if this rule is not obeyed.

No dogs or any animals will be allowed.

Please look after your children at all times.

OUR PARTNERS:

Official Vehicle Partner: Toyota

Official hydration partner: Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages

Go to Event Page.

The double booking of dates really has to be dealt with. I missed a few rides I was keen to do because of it. Might be doing this on my muddy mountain bike purely out of curiosity. Will see how I feel closer to the time. 

You have to go faster than 38.23km/h for 12h (probably only possible if it's a windless day) to stand a chance to win a cash prize of unknown amount. I know 100 Miler prize money is not great, but sure that's the better event to target?

28 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

You have to go faster than 38.23km/h for 12h (probably only possible if it's a windless day) to stand a chance to win a cash prize of unknown amount. I know 100 Miler prize money is not great, but sure that's the better event to target?

If I recall correctly, 100 Miler prize money doesn’t even break even with the entry 🤣

8 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

If I recall correctly, 100 Miler prize money doesn’t even break even with the entry 🤣

Thought that only happened in the Vets categories. I asked if they would rather comp an entry for the next event, but no dice...

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

Thought that only happened in the Vets categories. I asked if they would rather comp an entry for the next event, but no dice...

It’s pretty crazy, even running events with much lower entry fees have way better prize money. 

On 9/10/2023 at 2:40 PM, Sid the Sloth said:

What’s the cash prize looking like for the 12h? 

Latest socials says R5k, but it still says if you break the record you are in with a chance at the cash prize... Maybe you have to roll a double six or something? 🤷‍♂️ 🎲

will the event be sanctioned by CSA , if not and you are paying prize money who will verify the results as being correct?

16 hours ago, The itch said:

will the event be sanctioned by CSA , if not and you are paying prize money who will verify the results as being correct?

I'm a bit hazy on details but wasn't there an agreement between CSA and PPA? Maybe I am thinking of something else

26 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

I'm a bit hazy on details but wasn't there an agreement between CSA and PPA? Maybe I am thinking of something else

There used to be one, but I suspect its not in place anymore....