Fork replacement 2022 Giant Trance X E+2

ChrisO

Hi riders, Im needing to replace the fork on my 22 Trance X E+2. It currently has a Fox 36 Float Rhythm 150mm. Im considering increasing to a Fox Factory 36 160mm. 

Does anyone here have experience with a 160mm (or even 170 at a stretch) on this bike? It would slacken it slightly and rise the bars somewhat, which with this geometry should be fine as the bike has a very "forward leaning bias" in my experience (Size XL, Im 6'2) which can be unnerving going downhill (great for climbing though). Looking for some additional travel, although 160mm is still quite mid-range. 

Would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!

If you're above 80kg 

Then I would recommend looking at a 38 performance ( not rhythm )

The grip damper and NA2 airspring on the performance performs incredibly well and a stiffer chassis would be more noticeable imo 

and its an ebike so weight's not really a factor right ? 

Rythym is a very good fork and has thicker uppers than the equivalent 36 Performance and Elite models so is stiffer. Going up 10mm is easy and can be done with a R1500 air shaft. No need for a whole new fork. If you are feeling like you are too far over the front, or the front is too low, a higher rise bar and shorter stem can also do the trick to raise the front end of the bike. 

Edited by thebob

5 hours ago, BaGearA said:

If you're above 80kg 

Then I would recommend looking at a 38 performance ( not rhythm )

The grip damper and NA2 airspring on the performance performs incredibly well and a stiffer chassis would be more noticeable imo 

and its an ebike so weight's not really a factor right ? 

Yes about 85kg. You’re right, E-bike so weight is not such a huge factor. I’m an amputee so difficult to lift my butt when hitting roots, jumps and ruts, so suspension makes a big difference in this situation. 
im 100% going to look into the Fox Performance option, thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by ChrisO

2 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

When You are at already at 150mm 10 mm Don't make Much Difference (Go For IT).

True! Looks like the Fox Performance is a good option 👍

1 hour ago, thebob said:

Rythym is a very good fork and has thicker uppers than the equivalent 36 Performance and Elite models so is stiffer. Going up 10mm is easy and can be done with a R1500 air shaft. No need for a whole new fork. If you are feeling like you are too far over the front, or the front is too low, a higher rise bar and shorter stem can also do the trick to raise the front end of the bike. 

Just saw you suggestions, thanks for the info on Float vs Performance, I wasn’t aware of this. 
A bar with rise sounds good. I’ll also check w my local shop re the air shaft option. Will also save a lot of $. 

One thing you need to realise is with longer bikes, if you get your weight to far back or not over the front enough…you will lose front grip to the point where the front will feel wallowy, wash out super easy and generally just wont feel hooked up. Especially at slacker head angles.  It might feel unnerving to begin with on steep downhills, but you soon realise that its actually way safer being that far forward on a long bike. I do empathise  with  your predicament though. Just being able to sit and roll through things makes it hard to get weight where it needs to be on the downs.  I still think that for many of us who started riding shorter bikes, it almost takes longer to re-learn how to ride these new things than people who began to ride 2-5y ago. My hardtail is a shorter bike than my enduro bike and i find it easier to ride. It’s pointy and direct no matter how far I gang off the back. I have to force myself over the front on my big bike otherwise it just understeers everwhere.

Edited by MORNE

As @thebob said, a new air spring will do the job at a fraction of the price. I have the thing you need, PM me if you're interested.