Purchases from Aliexpress

Rastas

Some suppliers don't ship to Hong Kong, most will send to Singapore but you have to check shipping charges and options from the supplier

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, kosmonooit said:

Some suppliers don't ship to Hong Kong, most will send to Singapore but you have to check shipping charges and options from the supplier

Singapore now has duties on imported items. I think its around 10%. So factor that into your calculations. They used to have a $500 threshold, but that was taken away at the beginning of this year.

On 9/11/2023 at 3:27 PM, Rastas said:

I was just wondering if anybody has bought successfully off AliExpress? I was looking at this power meter ( great reviews from GPLama ) but I'm just nervous to pull the trigger. Would love to know if anyone has any positive/negative feedback?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005506880823.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2nld

I have ordered many small items, over the years, never had a issue. But only bought small cheap items. Always read seller reviews and pics. Expect 3-4 months, due to sa post.

21 hours ago, michaelbiker said:

Singapore now has duties on imported items. I think its around 10%. So factor that into your calculations. They used to have a $500 threshold, but that was taken away at the beginning of this year.

I see AGS has a shipping address in China ( where the pm is sold ) so I take it that would be cheapest...and then straight to the depo in jhb?

haha ordered last month 10-12 teeth sprockets for my MTB and a tail light, they shipped in two parcels. Went this morning to collect the one, they told me I must wait to get a whatsapp to come collect the 2nd. I got the whatsapp an hour later...

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

haha ordered last month 10-12 teeth sprockets for my MTB and a tail light, they shipped in two parcels. Went this morning to collect the one, they told me I must wait to get a whatsapp to come collect the 2nd. I got the whatsapp an hour later...

what is the quality like of the sprockets? Do you have a link? I am keen to get a few

3 hours ago, Cycling 4020 said:

Hi everyone, hope you are having a great day. On this topic I have to ask if this helmet is legit. R480 for an Abus airbreaker. Or is this a fake🤔🤔

Screenshot_20230913_170350_Chrome.jpg

With anything Aliexpress or life in general - if it looks too good to be true it probably is. Actually, there are very few branded items on Aliexpress that are genuine. 

Edited by michaelbiker

On this ags services.

Do they only ship items that are store bought with an invoice? 

So no private deals can go via aramex global shopper

I've been using AliExpress since 2014, and placed over 70 orders.

From MTB and motocross kit, Macbook batteries, smart home lighting, Garmin watch straps, tools, 3D printer upgrades and even a CNC Laser Cutter (biggest single purchase @approx R16,000)

I'd say 95% of the purchases have been as described and I was pleasantly surprised. And of those 70-odd orders, only ONE has never turned up (a R70 reflective vest), which was probably a postage issue.

The only downside is the delivery time (which in SA I used to bank on about 2-3 months), here in New Zealand it's about 2-3 weeks, although my most recent purchase arrived in 10 days.

When you don't need the performance or back-up that comes with costly branded stuff, AliExpress is the place to go!

13 hours ago, Rastas said:

I see AGS has a shipping address in China ( where the pm is sold ) so I take it that would be cheapest...and then straight to the depo in jhb?

AliExpress see themself as an international service and don't ship to addresses in China. Never tried Hong Kong, but believe it is also seen as China?

A while back I tried an address in Taiwan, but it backfired, as at that stage there was a lot of political friction between China and Taiwan. That parcel took longer than SAPO !😄

Edited by Mongoose!

14 hours ago, Cycling 4020 said:

Hi everyone, hope you are having a great day. On this topic I have to ask if this helmet is legit. R480 for an Abus airbreaker. Or is this a fake🤔🤔

Screenshot_20230913_170350_Chrome.jpg

I don't see any logos or stickers on there, so I would go with fake.
When something is too good to be true, it probably is...

Also, go and have a look at some of the comments on this thread about helmets and testing and standards:

19 hours ago, Rastas said:

For some reason AlliX suppliers don't ship to a PRC address, so HK is the next best thing.

Only problem I have had is when the AGS Suite number is not that clear on the parcel, but you can get them to search their rx parcels after giving them the details. The once it happened to me, they did find my parcel, this was after a few weeks waiting.

AGS will want a supplier Invoice before shipping out, I send them a pdf output of the order from the website.

Just one thing, FORGET about shipping anything with a Lithium battery, like a phone. Major documentation requirements,

6 hours ago, Mongoose! said:

AliExpress see themself as an international service and don't ship to addresses in China. Never tried Hong Kong, but believe it is also seen as China?

A while back I tried an address in Taiwan, but it backfired, as at that st

Hong Kongers don't think so! If you ever go there, and meet some locals,  its a bit like football in the UK, within a sentence or two they will start bitchin  about main landers.

Most suppliers will have the HK option, but not all.

Yeah Little China could be  a problem....  the memories of Chiang Kai-shek are still fresh.

18 hours ago, MajG said:

On this ags services.

Do they only ship items that are store bought with an invoice? 

So no private deals can go via aramex global shopper

Aliexpress don't issue invoices either. I print the page with the price etc on it and attach that. This has worked for SA customs.