Scott Scale carbon frame

Chadvdw67

Hey everyone, my nephew has an old Scott Scale carbon frame, it is quite a nice frame, but he somehow managed to strip the threads in the derailleur hanger, and it seems that it is not replaceable, as it looks to be bonded to the frame, does anyone have any ideas for a repair job?

20231029_172521.jpg

20231029_172530.jpg

An engineering shop will be able to drill that out, bond in an insert and drill re-tap for very little money

That or insert a Helicoil

I would suggest Helicoil... if they come in that thread size

Please keep us updated on the outcome

Edited by ichnusa

A professional welder could probably weld it small spot welds close hole slowly heat and cool  with cold wet cloth over the join. Drill and tap new thread.

Either way... the good thing is you can use a derailleur alignment tool to straighten the hanger

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

An engineering shop will be able to drill that out, bond in an insert and drill re-tap for very little money

That or insert a Helicoil

Think I may try make an insert for it, it may weaken the hanger drastically since there is very little meat to work with, but it is worth a shot I guess, seeing as it is pretty much useless now anyway

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the suggestions guys 👍don't know why I couldnt think of it by myself, but turned up a little insert, and it has worked a treat, my nephew is stoked we didnt have to dump the frame