Replacing an old shock with a cheap custom one ?

Dean111

I have an old bike from 2004 it is a Jekyll 800 with a fox float rl rear shock

Is there any cheap shock i can replace it with i dont care if it would feel like a pogo stick.

I like the frame i just need a shock to keep the wheel on the ground for road use. Something not expensive.

In your position, I'd probably take it to the local bike shop and ask them what they have that will suit your use case. I've taken plenty of project bikes to my local shop and gotten some sound advice from the mechanics there. Heck, they might even have the right shock gathering dust in a corner somewhere.  

8 x 2mm mild steel with appropriate holes at ether end. 

The you don't have to deal with any leaks considering you don't need a shock to begin with 

Thank you both

Not sure if i could be so cruel as to add a rigid piece in there just like that BUT if my options are bone dry i will strongly consider it thanks.

@armandt i will try a few shops i am not too optimistic but thanks thats all i can do i guess.

Edited by Dean111

2 hours ago, Dean111 said:

Thank you both

Not sure if i could be so cruel as to add a rigid piece in there just like that BUT if my options are bone dry i will strongly consider it thanks.

@armandt i will try a few shops i am not too optimistic but thanks thats all i can do i guess.

The shop that I use to help me with my "projects" is Kroff Cycles here in Paarl, Western Cape. lol, I've built a few franken bikes during the last few years, and they help me modify parts where needed. Your situation typically sounds like one of my projects. It's fun. Please remember to post pics when you are done. I am also genuinely interested in how your solution works out, it might give a few old dual suspension bikes new life. 

4 hours ago, Dean111 said:

Thank you both

Do you have shox dimensions?

19 hours ago, Dean111 said:

I have an old bike from 2004 it is a Jekyll 800 with a fox float rl rear shock

Is there any cheap shock i can replace it with i dont care if it would feel like a pogo stick.

I like the frame i just need a shock to keep the wheel on the ground for road use. Something not expensive.

What's wrong with the current shock?

15 hours ago, Bicycle Yard WESTERN CAPE said:

Do you have shox dimensions?

Measuring from the outside with a ruler seems to be 130mm eyelit to eyelit

Can width 43mm.

Do you perhaps have an idea ?

Alternate shock ? Custom ?

Edited by Dean111

On 11/2/2023 at 10:08 AM, droo said:

What's wrong with the current shock?

Well..perhaps you can tell ? Heres the link i made this is what it sounds like.

Video deleted

Does it sound right ?

The shock works, it feels.nice soaking up the bumps.

It has a light film of oil on the shaft after each ride ( i clean it before each ride)

The problem i have is that it is an old shock

And spending 2k on a service every so often is not worth the value given the bike's age.

I want a shock that is cheap, cheap to maintain for thus bike, doesnt matter if i lose feel quality.

Lockout seems to not work but i dont care about lockout.

Edited by Dean111

16 hours ago, Armandt_R said:

The shop that I use to help me with my "projects" is Kroff Cycles here in Paarl, Western Cape. lol, I've built a few franken bikes during the last few years, and they help me modify parts where needed. Your situation typically sounds like one of my projects. It's fun. Please remember to post pics when you are done. I am also genuinely interested in how your solution works out, it might give a few old dual suspension bikes new life. 

Thanks for sure i'm trying to get ideas/options thats why am posting here will send Kroff Cycles a message too thanks

On 11/2/2023 at 12:39 PM, Dean111 said:

Measuring from the outside with a ruler seems to be 130mm eyelit to eyelit

Can width 43mm.

Do you perhaps have an idea ?

Alternate shock ? Custom ?

Tried finding one but it's a bit hard.

Trying to look for a old Cannondale scalpel frame, those shocks should be about that dimension as well.

And they go for fairly cheap.

Keeping an eye out ! 

On 11/2/2023 at 11:52 PM, droo said:

Service it. You're not going to find anything else than fits that frame.

What Droo said. Cannondale (particularly Jekyll's) like to use proprietary rear shocks (like the Fox DYAD pull shock on the 2015 Jekyll I once had). Little/no other bikes use them.

The Jekyll 800 is no exception. To find something with that same eye-to-eye and stroke that isn't from a Jekyll 800 will be tricky as that bike had the one shock mount midway up the air-can, with a pre-load collar.

Jekyll 800 Rear Shock

image.png.4aead9f077a3a9ef76e30b54c6e49169.png

Conventional Rear Shock

image.png.1c3c6dc2f6674547f4a5993cc288d9b6.png

As you can see the eye-to-eye to stroke ration on the Jekyll shock is quite close, compared to a conventional rear shock. So finding something else with an eye-to-eye that small (not to mention the correct stroke), will be nigh impossible..