Cracked frame, what will insurance do?

JordanAtmore

Hi Guys,

I was hyjacked 2 weeks ago and guys had taken my S-works tarmac SL5 with dura-ace, the cops had managed to retrieve my bike but there is now cracks on the top tube and also scratches all over the groupset.

I have sent it in for an evaluation but I am just curious to see what your experience is, will the insurance pay out or would they change the components, fix the crack in the carbon and respray?

let me know. :)

1 hour ago, jordankyleatmore@gmail.com said:

Hi Guys,

I was hyjacked 2 weeks ago and guys had taken my S-works tarmac SL5 with dura-ace, the cops had managed to retrieve my bike but there is now cracks on the top tube and also scratches all over the groupset.

I have sent it in for an evaluation but I am just curious to see what your experience is, will the insurance pay out or would they change the components, fix the crack in the carbon and respray?

If you have a broker they might be able to fight for a new frame 

Or you could try claim a new bike and they must take the salvage 

The terms and conditions in the contract should give more clarity on this 

Very difficult to answer this one. It would depend on many things. 

It would depend on the terms of your policy and of course the insurance company that you are with. 

Some companies will look for any reason not to pay and others will help. 

For example, my policy specifically excludes cosmetic damage, so they probably won't cover the scratches on the groupset. It also states that they hold the full option as to whether repair or replace. They would probably try and get away with repairing the crack in the frame. 

Your policy may be different. 

very likely they will try to repair. 

When I got my bike back with a similar scenario, the frame was repaired.

The shifters were badly damaged and they tried to pass it off as general wear and tear which I rejected out of hand - end of story - new groupset, saddle, seatpost and repaired frame.

Your policy probably states under the General Conditions ( those apply to all sections of your policy) that the company will indemnify you via, " repair, replace or pay cash or any combination there of"

the scratches will be hard to prove that it was as result of the theft - so that might be excluded. 

The first option will be to repair the crack

Put in a claim/ resulting damage  and link it to the theft case number. The insurance will assess the claim and then you know where you stand and negotiations can go forward.  Should only cost you a little time and you will have a clear answer. 

Edited by Barry

3 hours ago, jordankyleatmore@gmail.com said:

Hi Guys,

Is this the bike that was taken with Daniel's Felt ?

Be sure to claim for the Wahoo and mount too.

That bike got pretty banged up.

10 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Is this the bike that was taken with Daniel's Felt ?

Be sure to claim for the Wahoo and mount too.

That bike got pretty banged up.

Hi, yes it is! Unfortunately I can’t claim for my computer because I didn’t insure it:(