[Event] 2024 Imbuko Big 5 MTB Challenge

Gravel Travel Events

3 hours ago, Mayo916 said:

So the dropper seat post I bought specifically for that section is useless now.

Nooit a waste. Comes pretty handy when you need to tuck on long descents and get that downhill KOM

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Is the cliffhanger open to use year round? I thought it was just open for this event?

Not exactly but this lady has special landowner permission to ride it.

3 hours ago, milky4130 said:

Nooit a waste. Comes pretty handy when you need to tuck on long descents and get that downhill KOM

.....works a charm down Suikerbossie too 

23 hours ago, milky4130 said:

I remember a few years ago when I spoke about dropper posts everyone laughed at me 🤪

51 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

I remember a few years ago when I spoke about dropper posts everyone laughed at me 🤪

now everyone laughing at okes not running them... 

Lessons Learned from previous editions to help guys that may feel intimidated with the challenge. Please feel free to add anything I may have missed.

1. Practice lots of climbing on various terrain, smooth gravel to rocky surfaces.

2. Ride plenty of single track, arm pump is reel once fatigue sets in.

3. Practice Switchbacks...plenty of switchbacks to the left & to the right

9 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

Lessons Learned from previous editions to help guys that may feel intimidated with the challenge. Please feel free to add anything I may have missed.

1. Practice lots of climbing on various terrain, smooth gravel to rocky surfaces.

2. Ride plenty of single track, arm pump is reel once fatigue sets in.

3. Practice Switchbacks...plenty of switchbacks to the left & to the right

On race day, my suggestion will be to stop at each water point, bar perhaps waterpoint one.  This is of-course if you are not racing for a top 10 finish. 

I don't ride with hydration packs, and only use two bottles, and those would be 550ml only, but even if you manage to fit 750ml bottles in your bike, you will go through fluids rather quickly.  Once out of the early morning shaded comfort, the heat can really bake down on you, and finding yourself out on those lung busting mountains, without water or underhydrated, will add to your woes.....yip, I've got the T-shirt (printed on the front :  " I skipped Water-Points @ IB5 "

Edited by Morne Veer
Need to learn how to spell hydration correct the first time around

42 minutes ago, Morne Veer said:

On race day, my suggestion will be to stop at each water point, bar perhaps waterpoint one.  This is of-course if you are not racing for a top 10 finish. 

I don't ride with hydration packs, and only use two bottles, and those would be 550ml only, but even if you manage to fit 750ml bottles in your bike, you will go through fluids rather quickly.  Once out of the early morning shaded comfort, the heat can really bake down on you, and finding yourself out on those lung busting mountains, without water or underhydrated, will add to your woes.....yip, I've got the T-shirt (printed on the front :  " I skipped Water-Points @ IB5 "

luckily there are enough streams to take a dip to keep cool and maybe higher up for drinking water.

15 hours ago, WaldoZ said:

Remember the same with gravel bikes. They could never understand the reason for a GB.  Now all the haters got one.

3 minutes ago, RustyHWR said:

Remember the same with gravel bikes. They could never understand the reason for a GB.  Now all the haters got one.

haha, I still don't have one. But will soon change.

The dropper just made sense to me from the start. I'm a tall guy so getting lower helps a lot. I still battle on some of these uphill switchbacks though because of my XL MTB frame. The turning circle is a bit wider haha... that's my story and I am sticking to it 🤪

20 hours ago, milky4130 said:

luckily there are enough streams to take a dip to keep cool and maybe higher up for drinking water.

listen meneer, when I stop and get off my bike, it is to walk it back to the finish area....klaar en gedaan

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 4:32 PM, Morne Veer said:

listen meneer, when I stop and get off my bike, it is to walk it back to the finish area....klaar en gedaan

so you trying to tell me you will ride all those switchbacks up & down?

58 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

so you trying to tell me you will ride all those switchbacks up & down?

🤘 

I'll wait for you on top and follow your wheel all the way down!? 😜

• 4 weeks later...

....after spending a hour on the bike today in this heat, I reminded myself to stop feeling sorry for myself, as there is a strong possibility of having to do just that but 4 times as long ! (yes I said 4, as fortunately the first two hours should be shaded and not as warm with a 6h30 start).  

Gotta feel for the okes lining up tomorrow for the AK (read that any way you want) in Oudsthoorn