What wheel-set would be worth it?

Bichael Dewing

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your Scott is a similar machine to my previous-gen Diverge, it's effectively a semi-gravel bike which runs well with 35 or 38mm (mine currently) rubber.

I go through a LOT of bike stuff, but the carbon Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V wheels I put on here have been one of the most instantly notable upgrades I've done in years. Light, stiff, great sounding freehub. All the good stuff!

In this case, I managed to score this set which I estimate had 6 months of use on it for R10k two years ago, which was definitely a bargain, but I reckon with a bit of patience you could probably find something for R12k-15k in mint condition.

Totally worth the upgrade!

image.jpeg.a1ebf502e48da9ab61a18618889d8c5f.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

It’s this guy.. should have posted this way earlier if we are honest.!🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

IMG_1800.png

IMG_1605.jpeg

Gear side down!!!!! The sacrilege!

Thats a cool bike. Some 30-40mm carbon deep sections will be amazing

2 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

Your Scott is a similar machine to my previous-gen Diverge, it's effectively a semi-gravel bike which runs well with 35 or 38mm (mine currently) rubber.

I go through a LOT of bike stuff, but the carbon Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V wheels I put on here have been one of the most instantly notable upgrades I've done in years. Light, stiff, great sounding freehub. All the good stuff!

In this case, I managed to score this set which I estimate had 6 months of use on it for R10k two years ago, which was definitely a bargain, but I reckon with a bit of patience you could probably find something for R12k-15k in mint condition.

Totally worth the upgrade!

image.jpeg.a1ebf502e48da9ab61a18618889d8c5f.jpeg

That’s super cool, I like specialized a lot..😃

I go between wanting a checkpoint and a diverge all the time as my future bike😭🤣🤣..

im in no hurry, I will see if something pops up that will be a decent upgrade.. thanks for sharing.. I’ve read that the best upgrade and first upgrade you should think about is a wheel set.. 

however I’ve done cheaper things.. corrected the handle bar width and stem length just to make the bike fit better.. and then did a fitting.. she’s not the most expensive bike by any stretch of the imagination but I really like this bike..

4 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Gear side down!!!!! The sacrilege!

Thats a cool bike. Some 30-40mm carbon deep sections will be amazing

Oh yes.!! 🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Yeah it wasn’t long after this that my mate corrected that bad habit.!

it’s an oldish photo

32 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

It’s this guy.. should have posted this way earlier if we are honest.!🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

IMG_1800.png

IMG_1605.jpeg

Such a cool bike!
Definitely more of an allroad bike than a gravel bike.

These would look HOT on that bike:
South Industries on Aivee Classic hubs that I built last year.DSC_0642.png.2ceb9cf8c3c3e5300be6219e5c8f9b4d.png

22 hours ago, Michael Dewing said:

Okay I like it.. thank you.!

weird thing about this gravel bike is that I bought it with 40mm tires and quickly realized they were rubbing the frame and fork.. damaging the fork.. paint damage on the alloy frame..  you can’t really go bigger than 35🤷🏼‍♂️.. maybe 38 but it would have to be slick I reckon.. I’m now on 32 and very happy with that.. gives good clearance and nice on the road..

I’ll look in the classifieds for carbon.. 😃

thanks for the advice mate.!😉🤙🏻

I would definitely consider a set of 650b wheels and then you can use wider tires...it will make an amazing difference to your ride on gravel using 45mm tires

8 minutes ago, guidodg said:

I would definitely consider a set of 650b wheels and then you can use wider tires...it will make an amazing difference to your ride on gravel using 45mm tires

Disclaimer: I bought this to keep my options open, but I’ve never riden gravel with it..🤣🤣 I’ve found myself happiest on road.. 

I will consider your advice if that ever changes..😉🤘🏻

18 minutes ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

Such a cool bike!
Definitely more of an allroad bike than a gravel bike.

These would look HOT on that bike:
South Industries on Aivee Classic hubs that I built last year.DSC_0642.png.2ceb9cf8c3c3e5300be6219e5c8f9b4d.png

The bike is super cool.! I just need to sort out these shifters as well.. they are not so lekka.. 😰

Nic, thank you, you really seem to know your stuff.. I’ll definitely give you a shout if I decide/have the funds to do a proper upgrade.. 

where do you operate from.? 

18 hours ago, Michael Dewing said:

The bike is super cool.! I just need to sort out these shifters as well.. they are not so lekka.. 😰

Nic, thank you, you really seem to know your stuff.. I’ll definitely give you a shout if I decide/have the funds to do a proper upgrade.. 

where do you operate from.? 

I work from my garage...

I live in Wilderness, near George - been here for 3 years now, moved from JHB.

99% of the wheels I build go somewhere else by courier 😆

5 minutes ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

I work from my garage...

I live in Wilderness, near George - been here for 3 years now, moved from JHB.

99% of the wheels I build go somewhere else by courier 😆

I know wilderness.. my childhood holidays were always up the garden route.. 

that’s so awesome.! I’ll buy wheels from you when I can.🥳🤘🏻