What wheel-set would be worth it?

Bichael Dewing

Evening all wheel guys.. 

I have a Scott Speedster 10 gravel.. it has the standard syncros wheel set.. 

my question is, how much do I need to spend, or what should I look at that will actually be an upgrade that’s worth it.? Carbon.? I fear I buy a wheel set (like 5k/10k) and there won’t be much of a difference between them as I don’t know much about wheels.. any advice is much appreciated.. 

baring in mind I’m riding road 99% of the time.🤷🏼‍♂️ bought gravel to keep my options open.. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Are the existing wheels carbon or alloy ? 

I’m pretty sure they are alloy.. syncros race 24 disc 28 front/28 rear according to the bikes spec sheet.. 

quick google suggests they are 300/400 dollar wheels, but I really can’t find much about them🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Michael Dewing

IMHO the difference between carbon wheels and alloy wheels makes more of a difference than a carbon vs alloy frame.

Carbon wheels will be an upgrade from an alloy set. Alloy set to alloy set not so worth it.

I've seen a few sets in the classifieds worth buying at less than 10k

Keep the alloy wheels with gravel tires and wider cassette for gravel bashing and the carbon wheels with close shift cassette and 28mm tires for the road!

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

IMHO the difference between carbon wheels and alloy wheels makes more of a difference than a carbon vs alloy frame.

Carbon wheels will be an upgrade from an alloy set. Alloy set to alloy set not so worth it.

I've seen a few sets in the classifieds worth buying at less than 10k

Keep the alloy wheels with gravel tires and wider cassette for gravel bashing and the carbon wheels with close shift cassette and 28mm tires for the road!

Okay I like it.. thank you.!

weird thing about this gravel bike is that I bought it with 40mm tires and quickly realized they were rubbing the frame and fork.. damaging the fork.. paint damage on the alloy frame..  you can’t really go bigger than 35🤷🏼‍♂️.. maybe 38 but it would have to be slick I reckon.. I’m now on 32 and very happy with that.. gives good clearance and nice on the road..

I’ll look in the classifieds for carbon.. 😃

thanks for the advice mate.!😉🤙🏻

Keep your OEM wheels as training wheels or as a spare set. The wheels on most Scott bikes are regrettably where they compromise to meet a price point.

In other words they're normally not great. Heavy and weak, in my experience with most Syncros wheels, over the last 8 years.

When you upgrade, go for wheels with premium alloy for strength or carbon rims for the best upgrade. (alloy rims which are any good are much heavier than carbon - 500g+ for alloy vs. 350g per rim for carbon).

300g saving on your wheelset makes a massive difference. Lighter hubs can also easily save another 100g+.

R5-10k won't get you anything good, unless you get a stellar 2nd-hand bargain.

Look to spend R12-15k for a premium alloy set (DT Swiss rims and hubs) or R20-25k for a proper set of superlight carbon wheels and you'll be set.

This isn't in the budget for most people, but anything less won't be worth the investment as you'll see very little, if any, benefit to the new wheels.

Pictured is a premium alloy set built for ultimate durability (1800g), and a superlight low-profile carbon set (1200g).

DSC_1813.jpg

DSC_1815.jpg

DSC_1818.jpg

DSC_1822.jpg

DSC_1514.jpg

DSC_1515.jpg

DSC_1516.jpg

11 hours ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

Keep your OEM wheels as training wheels or as a spare set. The wheels on most Scott bikes are regrettably where they compromise to meet a price point.

In other words they're normally not great. Heavy and weak, in my experience with most Syncros wheels, over the last 8 years.

When you upgrade, go for wheels with premium alloy for strength or carbon rims for the best upgrade. (alloy rims which are any good are much heavier than carbon - 500g+ for alloy vs. 350g per rim for carbon).

300g saving on your wheelset makes a massive difference. Lighter hubs can also easily save another 100g+.

R5-10k won't get you anything good, unless you get a stellar 2nd-hand bargain.

Look to spend R12-15k for a premium alloy set (DT Swiss rims and hubs) or R20-25k for a proper set of superlight carbon wheels and you'll be set.

This isn't in the budget for most people, but anything less won't be worth the investment as you'll see very little, if any, benefit to the new wheels.

Pictured is a premium alloy set built for ultimate durability (1800g), and a superlight low-profile carbon set (1200g).

DSC_1813.jpg

DSC_1815.jpg

DSC_1818.jpg

DSC_1822.jpg

DSC_1514.jpg

DSC_1515.jpg

DSC_1516.jpg

Okay amazing.. that confirms what I was worried about, 15/20k or it’s not really worth changing out..

I mean unless my original wheels were damaged..🤔

thanks so much.!

23 minutes ago, W Smith said:

Sensible decision.

I mean I would love to upgrade, for performance and even just aesthetically, dig the look of like a 50mm clincher with branding.. but even 20k is more than I paid for the bike itself(second hand) 🤣🤣

But yaaa don’t think I’ll do that.. 

feels like having a car that’s worth more than your house🤔🤣🤣

16 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

I mean I would love to upgrade, for performance and even just aesthetically, dig the look of like a 50mm clincher with branding.. but even 20k is more than I paid for the bike itself(second hand) 🤣🤣

But yaaa don’t think I’ll do that.. 

feels like having a car that’s worth more than your house🤔🤣🤣

Priorities aren't right then Bru, 

Everyone knows the hierarchy: 

Bike

Kit

Car

House

Wife

1 minute ago, PregoRoll said:

Priorities aren't right then Bru, 

Everyone knows the hierarchy: 

Bike

Kit

Car

House

Wife

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I best check myself.!!😳

🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Michael Dewing said:

Okay amazing.. that confirms what I was worried about, 15/20k or it’s not really worth changing out..

I mean unless my original wheels were damaged..🤔

thanks so much.!

There are some really good carbon wheels in the classified for under 10k?

Realistically, the new wheels won't suddenly make you a better rider, but they will do some or all of the following;

Carbon wheels will feel better, more direct and more responsive

Carbon wheels sound better when they whoosh and zing and tang

They will definitely be  more aero

They will definitely look rad

These things or a combination of these things, plus having spent money, may or may not make you feel like a rockstar and motivate you to ride more so you can feel, hear and appreciate the new wheels more, which is the ultimate win

If you have the cash, rad. If you don't and you're stretching, don't

Edited by Jewbacca

14 hours ago, Michael Dewing said:

Okay I like it.. thank you.!

weird thing about this gravel bike is that I bought it with 40mm tires and quickly realized they were rubbing the frame and fork.. damaging the fork.. paint damage on the alloy frame..  you can’t really go bigger than 35🤷🏼‍♂️.. maybe 38 but it would have to be slick I reckon.. I’m now on 32 and very happy with that.. gives good clearance and nice on the road..

I’ll look in the classifieds for carbon.. 😃

thanks for the advice mate.!😉🤙🏻

I'm can comfortably fit 38c Maxxis Ramblers on my Scott Speedster 30 (2020).  

Which year model is yours?  Are the wheels 135mm QR or 142 through axle at the back?  I presume the former if the tire clearance is what you have (newer models are factory specced with 45c tyres).

And have a chat to Rapide - they build some decent wheels at sensible prices!

7 minutes ago, christovdw said:

I'm can comfortably fit 38c Maxxis Ramblers on my Scott Speedster 30 (2020).  

Which year model is yours?  Are the wheels 135mm QR or 142 through axle at the back?  I presume the former if the tire clearance is what you have (newer models are factory specced with 45c tyres).

And have a chat to Rapide - they build some decent wheels at sensible prices!

It’s a 2018 I think.. 🤣🤣 I don’t know the answers to your other questions.. I just know 40 was damaging the carbon fork.. 

I will look into rapide.. thanks.!