Rim tape, or re-anodize?

Zebra

mate of mine has bought a VERY nice 2nd-hand, low-mileage Spez Levo, Turbo, I think.

1. Bike has 5 or 6 small, deep paint chips on ONE SIDE,(only) of the bike; to me, indicative of being loaded for repeated trips on back of a vehicle; QUESTION: are Spez touch-up paints, OR colour codes, available?

2. Same side of bike, ONE rim surface has MARKED micro- 'pitting': I mentioned that cosmetically, I thought rim tape - steady, Boys...- would be cheaper, less labour-intensive than stripping a wheel and THEN getting it re-anodized, or what say the collective brains trust? It feels as if this bike did many km to/from say a holiday house whilst on the back of a vehicle, and one rim got hammered.. ?

Cheers, Chris + my mate Pete. .

Edited by Zebra
Spelling

Almost thought I'd see a mavic wheel here with the valve hole in its gwaai 

But no get a new rim and be done with it , you're paying for a rebuild if you go with your latter option.

13 hours ago, Zebra said:

mate of mine has bought a VERY nice 2nd-hand, low-mileage Spez Levo, Turbo, I think.

1. Bike has 5 or 6 small, deep paint chips on ONE SIDE,(only) of the bike; to me, indicative of being loaded for repeated trips on back of a vehicle; QUESTION: are Spez touch-up paints, OR colour codes, available?

2. Same side of bike, ONE rim surface has MARKED micro- 'pitting': I mentioned that cosmetically, I thought rim tape - steady, Boys...- would be cheaper, less labour-intensive than stripping a wheel and THEN getting it re-anodized, or what say the collective brains trust? It feels as if this bike did many km to/from say a holiday house whilst on the back of a vehicle, and one rim got hammered.. ?

Cheers, Chris + my mate Pete. .

1. Matched touch-up paint will never be perfect, but I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. When my Levo scratched I got a full AMS kit which covered all the slightly scratched areas instead, but if he wants to go the paint route:  https://www.rotaris-paint.com/collections/specialized?gclid=CjwKCAiAmZGrBhAnEiwAo9qHiXk0OIcwZU-2mDF3SmJIkgT_C85DH0GmgrL0SOR2eNhQDD2r3-6xthoCA-0QAvD_BwE

2. Rims are very seldom worth going to that much trouble for, agreed with @BaGearA to just buy a new wheel instead.

17 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Almost thought I'd see a mavic wheel here with the valve hole in its gwaai 

Even me.

OP - sounds to me like it's cosmetic damage on the outside of the rim from being sandblasted on a rack on dirt roads. If it bothers him, you can get a quote from an anodiser to strip and reanodise, but you'll be paying for a rebuild as well and you'll need to make sure the anodiser knows what he's doing.

New rim would be the safer and easier option, and probably wouldn't be that much more expensive.

+1 for purchasing a new wheel.

Depending on where you are located, you might also consider trying CBR in Durbanville. I'm sure they'll be able to touch up the paint chips and achieve a close match.

7 hours ago, Zebra said:

...thanks, BaGearA, anyone else got advice?

Not for fixing this rim, unfortunately ....

Friends did ONE trip, including long stretches on gravel roads.

The platform rack was low enough, or the SUV mud guards high enough .... either way, two rims got properly sand blasted and trashed in ONE trip.

Well worth checking this on SUV's, possibly some bakkies as well.

School fees ... others already paid this, no need to learn the expensive way.

With any luck @nick_the_wheelbuilder still has some rims at a good price ...

Edited by ChrisF

I concur - not worth fixing the rim unless you can mask everything else off and whip out a can of matt black spray paint....

Rims are R1500 - R2500.

Zero MT30 is cheapest, followed by WTB HTZ i30, followed by Stan's Flow MK4 or EX3.

Ping me if you'd like a proper quote.