Power Drops on Garmin

BirdMan

So i got a garmin 830 that is linked to my wahoo kickr indoor trainer. Sessions are loaded to the garmin from TP and i do the sessions using the garmin unit, i have been having issues with power drops, a screenshot is attached, does anyone know why this happen? has any one experienced this issue before?

its worse when using ERG mode, but still happens when ERG is deactivated, even when kickr is updated etc i still get the same issue

Screenshot_20231205_083445_Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20231205_091015_Connect.jpg

There is something close that is interfering with the ANT+ signal, try switching off your wifi, eliminate possibilities one by one, could even be your phone - I have had it before and make sure your trainer has the correct firmware installed.

Maybe beg, borrow, steal a device other than garmin and see if the drops are still there.
That way you can eliminate the trainer as the problem.

when i use the trainer on the wahoo app to see if there was any drops... it worked fine, no drops at all and i did some short intervals to see if there was any issues... will have to get my hands on a wahoo unit to see if it gives the same problem..

are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz internet? 

setting up a 5GHz channel just for your trainer/software is always advised

I had this issue as well. The sessions were on SYSTM and worked fine, but looking at the garmin's data in Intervals.icu, it showed what you're seeing. The SYSTM data was 100s. 

I began using a USB extender cable and had the ANT+ dongle near the trainer. Previously, it was plugged into the front USB port on my HP desktop and there were bluetooth and Logitec dongles alongside it and I suspect those played poorly with the ANT+ reception.

Incidentally, Western Digital mini external drives also won't work plugged in alongside the BT and keyboard dongles.

I tried using a nice 3m USB extender cable, but it doesn't work with the ANT+ dongle. Printers, phones, every other device I've tried on it work fine.

I hope you come right. I found this extremely frustrating. I sense you do too. 

This may be a long shot, but I had a similar issue using Zwift on a laptop with an Elite Suito. A few frustrating sessions later, the Suito stopped working completely (power adaptor fried). After I replaced the power supply (found a similar rated one in my old router box), the problem went away. It might be coincidental as I think I switched from my laptop (ANT+) to an iPad (BT) at the same time, but replacing the power supply is a cheap thing to try if the technological solutions fail. Otherwise try bypass the Garmin/ANT+ using a free Zwift trial or something similar. You can use Zwift on a phone these days with no extra hardware.

I would not think the Garmin would be the problem, but it's of course possible.