Using my hardtail 29er MTB in the Netherlands - which tyres to use?

Ant in the NL

Black Ice is harder to spot because it is very thin. Road salt usually breaks this down to  but this salt isn't always distributed on the pavements. Stick to the road and cycle paths and hit the tram lines at 90 degrees and you'll be fine. Just observe the Dutch mom's on their commuter bikes with kidson the front and back. stay close and observe but not creepy close :)

28 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Black Ice is harder to spot because it is very thin. Road salt usually breaks this down to  but this salt isn't always distributed on the pavements. Stick to the road and cycle paths and hit the tram lines at 90 degrees and you'll be fine. Just observe the Dutch mom's on their commuter bikes with kidson the front and back. stay close and observe but not creepy close :)

I remember my first experience with black ice, in my first winter commuting in london. I approached an intersection at I'd guess 20kph and squeezed the brakes. My wheels stopped rotating much as I expected and yet to my surprise, my bike (and myself) continued onward at exactly 20kph. Friction-less stuff. I'm not sure how the brain works out the correct evasive action so quickly but it clearly didn't want my body to proceed through the busy intersection, and within fractions of a second my new braking system involved my body in a horizontal position with my right butt cheek and right wrist desperately dragging the tarmac to avoid any further forward motion. 

But this was london in the 2000s, where bike commuting was far less popular than today, and in turn far less organized than the bike commuting culture of the Netherlands. I expect the OP has perfectly well-gritted cycle lanes to enjoy.

Solid advice, much appreciated 👍 Cheers @Sydd and @W@nted 🙌 It's gonna be 6⁰ tomorrow, no wind or rain... sounds like riding weather 😎 Took these this arvie behind my house....lovely clear skies....canal frozen over....stunning tbh....defs not Jozi or Cape Town 😁

20240110_143825.jpg

20240110_143848.jpg

20240110_143852.jpg