Lake mx 219 cleats - any advice

Boktiet82

55 minutes ago, Op1 said:

So it sounds like weight inst the most important factor here and in my case its probably not going to matter much or at all. My focus should be body weight and straight training over the weight of bike parts

I did pull the trigger and bought the 238 from KIM, great service and very patient with me. Will support her again. 

I definitely like my238 for sure and I dont think I will trade to other brands. however after testing the 238 microfiber version It felt a lot lighter but the fit was not as great as the leather version,which is slightly heavier.

Nice, congrats..! Some bike parts are not worth upgrading for weight reasons only.. get the comfortable shoes and loose 300grams body weight.. please show me where you are losing out in that deal.?!😉👍🏻

Been riding the 238s for a year now. Most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned. I also upgraded them with a pair of G8 insoles and was amazed at the difference they made. I have very high arches and the Lake inner soles just weren’t engaging my whole foot. 

13 minutes ago, michaelbiker said:

Been riding the 238s for a year now. Most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned. I also upgraded them with a pair of G8 insoles and was amazed at the difference they made. I have very high arches and the Lake inner soles just weren’t engaging my whole foot. 

Thanks for the info . I did get a pair of lake custom soles but have not tried them on yet.  

Is the fit is still good or the same after a year - do you have the leather version ? did ittake a little shape after a few rides ie; more comfortable ?

Edited by Op1

5 minutes ago, Op1 said:

Thanks for the info . I did get a pair of lake custom soles but have not tried them on yet.  

Is the fit is still good or the same after a year - do you have the leather version ? did ittake a little shape after a few rides ie; more comfortable ?

I have the MX238s in leather. Fit hasn’t changed apart from the insoles. Not sure how it would with such stiff carbon soles. You do have to look after the leather. I clean my shoes when they get really muddy and treat them with some leather cream. 

On 1/17/2024 at 7:02 AM, Boktiet82 said:

G'Day folks

I am in the market for a new pair of MTB cleats. These one's caught my eye and fall in my budget. Does anyone own these or had the them to test out? It's a pretty penny so want to make sure there are no "downsides" that is not in the media.

Any other recommendations of cleats that won't disintegrate in a year like my current pair of Scott's will also be appreciated. Budget till ~ R5k

Mx 219 is similar to mx 237 just with one BOA closure dial. Both use the competition last (sole).

what size shoe do you wear and where in the country are you based.

i can highly recommend the MX219 . The above info will take it easier to direct you to a store. 

On 9/14/2024 at 10:44 AM, Op1 said:

Reviving an old thread  :)

How are you guys enjoying your LAKE shoes since purchase - is the weight OK and comfort ok on these shoes? I would like to do race to the sea next year and generally like long rides.

My current Ryder shoes come in at 950g for the pair including cleats and the MX238 comes in at 1005g including cleats. - I dont think 60g will make much a dfference in energy consumption- happy to hear your thoughts on it. but thought they would be lighter considering they were 4x the price of the Ryders.

the quality of lake and the fit is just amazing though

Ryder Bora (46) 950g inc cleats

Lake MX238 (45) 1005 inc cleats

I have about 6 pairs of lake shoes all Cx 237 and 238 or Mx 237 and 238z

the oldest pairs are from 2018 and are going strong. The insoles needed replacing but the uppers have been bullet proof.  I like the giro insoles as replacements because the arch support is adjustable but with lake shoes I can use the lowest arch support.

lake also offers replacement insoles and I think they are very good too. I had the giros and gave them a try

14 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Mx 219 is similar to mx 237 just with one BOA closure dial. Both use the competition last (sole).

what size shoe do you wear and where in the country are you based.

i can highly recommend the MX219 . The above info will take it easier to direct you to a store. 

Thanks DiD, i eventually ended up with the MX219 as the 237 was not available in my size at the store. I must admit, it took some getting used to the larger toebox, but I'm extremely happy with my purchase. No more numb toes after an hour in the saddle.

29 minutes ago, Boktiet82 said:

Thanks DiD, i eventually ended up with the MX219 as the 237 was not available in my size at the store. I must admit, it took some getting used to the larger toebox, but I'm extremely happy with my purchase. No more numb toes after an hour in the saddle.

Yes that does take some getting used to. The insoles are made from a thinner section but more supportive rubber and this also adds to the roomy feeling of the 200 series shoes.

the 237 is now a discontinued model an replaced by the 238. There are several changes to the uppers and the outer soles rubber lugs forward aid to pedal contact stability and at the heel to aid walking stability. Lake recognises that sometimes you have to get off and walk. The upper has more mesh and a padded mesh tongue as opposed to the vented leather tongue on the outgoing 237. This also helps with keeping the top of the foot comfortable if walking like during cape epic hike a bike sections.

the 219 shares a lot of these improvements