Advice on Hubs and Freebodies

PjT

Hi all,

I currently have a 1x11 and decided to go 1x12.

Current rear hub is Lyne JB03 (like this) with Shimano HG free body. 

Lyne sells a microspline freebody (R1250) which will make the conversion possible, so all good.

But my question is: is the Shimano HG Free body somethin that will sell 2nd hand?

As far as I know, Lyne hubs/free bodies are only compatible with Lyne hubs, correct?

So, is the assumption correct to say that only someone with Lyne hub would be a potential buyer for this Free body?

hub.JPG

freebody.JPG

Those are compatible with 3.30 stans , I've heard . Please don't take that as gospel.

Second hand HG freebody for a hub that has already been updated is really not going ot fetch much.

To give you an indication, i had a spare microspline freebody for bontrager hubs ( sells for 1881 new ) I sold it for 300 bucks.

And people weren't beating down my door for it either.

Make sure the bearings are good or new , clean properly and take some good photos. Then i recon you could get 500 

did you message them up and ask if you can't buy it with the xd instead of the hg freebody?

3 minutes ago, Meezo said:

did you message them up and ask if you can't buy it with the xd instead of the hg freebody?

Hi Meezo, I already have the Lyne hub on my wheel, with the HG freebody installed.

Just now, PjT said:

Hi Meezo, I already have the Lyne hub on my wheel, with the HG freebody installed.

ah ok, i'm in the same boat as you... my HG body is currently on with the Shimano XT 11spd but will put my XD driver on when i change to Eagle 12spd eventually

28 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Those are compatible with 3.30 stans , I've heard . Please don't take that as gospel.

Second hand HG freebody for a hub that has already been updated is really not going ot fetch much.

To give you an indication, i had a spare microspline freebody for bontrager hubs ( sells for 1881 new ) I sold it for 300 bucks.

And people weren't beating down my door for it either.

Make sure the bearings are good or new , clean properly and take some good photos. Then i recon you could get 500 

Thanks for advice.

I read that post that was on here sometime ago relating to compatibility of Stans/Lyne hubs and free bodies. So think you are right.

that means besides a Lyn hub owner, there is one more possible taker for whom the Lyne HG hub might work, although still only small target market.

Convinced the bearing will still be good, has not seen alot of mileage, and nothing extreme at that....so when removed will clean and take good photos and see what bites. 😉

Few things.

You can go 1x12 with an NX cassette on an HG freehub body. It is one less hassle to sort now, works with GX shifter/derailleur as well. It is a consideration to have. Not sure your 1x11 set up and the ratios, but it will no doubt be an upgrade. When it comes time to do a cassette then you can go to a GX cassette and do the freehub then.

I tried to sell a freehub body off a Scott for a bit after moving from and NX to GX eagle cassette, eventually I just sent it with the bike when I sold the bike. Not huge market out there and you certainly only going to get a small portion of what the new one costs.

For me just going to a GX 10-52 cassette from a NX 11-50 was the big game changer, that little bit of extra range on either end of the drivetrain. It was 100% worth it in the end.

15 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Few things.

You can go 1x12 with an NX cassette on an HG freehub body. It is one less hassle to sort now, works with GX shifter/derailleur as well. It is a consideration to have. Not sure your 1x11 set up and the ratios, but it will no doubt be an upgrade. When it comes time to do a cassette then you can go to a GX cassette and do the freehub then.

I tried to sell a freehub body off a Scott for a bit after moving from and NX to GX eagle cassette, eventually I just sent it with the bike when I sold the bike. Not huge market out there and you certainly only going to get a small portion of what the new one costs.

For me just going to a GX 10-52 cassette from a NX 11-50 was the big game changer, that little bit of extra range on either end of the drivetrain. It was 100% worth it in the end.

HI Dave,

Thank you for the reply / advice. Was not aware that NX cassette runs on HG hub. Now I do! 🙂

My current 1x11 is Shimano (XT/SLX) with ratio of 11/46T.

I already purchased a brand new Deore 12 speed cassette (10-51T) from a fellow hubber, and am working on the rest of the parts as I go along.

3 hours ago, PjT said:

HI Dave,

Thank you for the reply / advice. Was not aware that NX cassette runs on HG hub. Now I do! 🙂

I already purchased a brand new Deore 12 speed cassette (10-51T) from a fellow hubber, and am working on the rest of the parts as I go along.

The Microspline 12sp cassettes are way better than the HG ones, both for range and for shifting. It's worth the extra cash for the driver body IMO.

Agree that you're not going to get much for an HG body these days. There are many more of them around than there are people who still want them. At least the spare bearings, pawls and springs may come in handy.

3 hours ago, PjT said:

HI Dave,

Shimano does a 11speed drivetrain with a 11-51t cassette that fits hg freehub body. Called m5100. Cassette looks identical to the 12speed deore apart from the one gear missing. You will need to buy the m5100 derailleur to work with the big 11speed cassette. The current shifter should work on that derailleur 

Edited by Ruben Hechter

15 hours ago, Ruben Hechter said:

Shimano does a 11speed drivetrain with a 11-51t cassette that fits hg freehub body. Called m5100. Cassette looks identical to the 12speed deore apart from the one gear missing. You will need to buy the m5100 derailleur to work with the big 11speed cassette. The current shifter should work on that derailleur 

Hi Ruben,

Yes, I saw that one at Bike Addict, and was almost on the way to buy it, but then saw a new/unused 12sp Deore (M6100) on the hub selling for less, and figured either way I have to buy a new derailleur and chain for any new wide range cassette; so decided the extra $ for microspline free body and 12sp shifter is worth the upgrade (and I get a 10 instead of a 11 at the smallest cog).

Will advertise the 11 speed setup (shifter, chain, cassette, derailleur and chainring and HG body) on here when the 12 is done and fitted.