XCM MTB tyres

MarcoDeS

7 hours ago, Murrob said:

I bleat about them often. I am running the Pirelli scorpion xc rc lite tyres front and rear. Very light, but surprisingly very reliable and grip very well across all conditions. But, a bit soft, so not gonna last super long. But I will trade grip for wear any day. 

+1 for Pirelli Scorpion XC RC 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Murrob said:

They are super, right? And really light compared to others out there, was running vittoria Barzo front and mezcal rear, which perform great, but 400 grams lighter for the set really helps, rotational weight and all. 

Yip, I'm onto my third season. They last well and deliver grip right the way down to the carcass.

ps third season of using the tyre. They don’t last three years. I got 3000km+ out of the rear

Edited by DieselnDust

3 hours ago, daveno7 said:

interesting comments....been trying to get a new set of tyres for my mtb here in the UK...trying to get a set of tyres ...but a lot of local places haven't adequate stock...and the delivery times are long...Shipping and Brexit rearing its ugly head...

What are you looking for?

30 minutes ago, BigDL said:

What are you looking for?

looking at maxxis crossmark 2 ....delivery time in April....and quoted different prices as well...have them on the bike at the moment...and cant complain at all about them...

53 minutes ago, Pandatron said:

Vittoria Air Liner and Recon Races 2.4 120TPI

Trying the Air Liner out.  So far they have been excellent.

6 minutes ago, Sepia said:

Trying the Air Liner out.  So far they have been excellent.

Really wanted Pepis tyre noodles but couldnt find them

12 hours ago, daveno7 said:

looking at maxxis crossmark 2 ....delivery time in April....and quoted different prices as well...have them on the bike at the moment...and cant complain at all about them...

My LBS can get them if you’re stuck. Says he can have them in stock for Tuesday. Drop me a PM if you want details. If he can’t ship them, I can collect and post to you no problem 

I’m running a 2.2 recon race on the back and a 2.4 Recon WT in the front but I feel like this is too heavy for racing. 

Previously had a 2.25 Racing Ralph super race on the back and 2.35 Racing Ray super race on the front. Got punished with punctures on these though. 

The conti race king and cross king seem like a decent mix? Thanks for the input on the Pirelli’s, will give them a try but want to run the 2.2 on the back and I can’t seem to see that anyone has stock. 

1 hour ago, BigDL said:

My LBS can get them if you’re stuck. Says he can have them in stock for Tuesday. Drop me a PM if you want details. If he can’t ship them, I can collect and post to you no problem 

thank you....great offer...have sent you a PM 

2 hours ago, MarcoDeS said:

I’m running a 2.2 recon race on the back and a 2.4 Recon WT in the front but I feel like this is too heavy for racing. 

Previously had a 2.25 Racing Ralph super race on the back and 2.35 Racing Ray super race on the front. Got punished with punctures on these though. 

The conti race king and cross king seem like a decent mix? Thanks for the input on the Pirelli’s, will give them a try but want to run the 2.2 on the back and I can’t seem to see that anyone has stock. 

I know what you mean. We need to be very specific about the type of racing, and the terrain / area.

In the Western Cape, for long distance XCM over rocky terrain, we need as much durability as we can get. My bike cape with Spez Ground Control 2.4 tires in the Control casing, but those were too thin: Got more than 1 snakebite puncture. I could have gotten the Grid casing, but decided on the Maxxis Rekon R's instead.

For XCO, or less rugged terrain, I think you can save weight with the Pirelli's etc. I would.

24 minutes ago, Hilton. said:

I know what you mean. We need to be very specific about the type of racing, and the terrain / area.

In the Western Cape, for long distance XCM over rocky terrain, we need as much durability as we can get. My bike cape with Spez Ground Control 2.4 tires in the Control casing, but those were too thin: Got more than 1 snakebite puncture. I could have gotten the Grid casing, but decided on the Maxxis Rekon R's instead.

For XCO, or less rugged terrain, I think you can save weight with the Pirelli's etc. I would.

My 2c. That’s just the thing, the Pirelli’s are super tough despite being light. With 120tpi casing, so to me it would talk to tyre ID and the pressure you run. If you are too low on pressure, snake bites will be an issue regardless of tyre unless you go super heavy sidewall. The sram tyre pressure app works well to get the pressure settings right, I tend to use their recommended pressure for wet conditions, but you may run the dry conditions pressure to be safer, and riding style dependent as well. 

3 hours ago, MarcoDeS said:

you get the ONZA Svelt in a 2.25

3 hours ago, MarcoDeS said:

I'm considering a pair of these. I won't be riding off-road with them. It will only be for my morning tar rides. I currently have Maxxis Assegai / DHR 2 combo which is heavy and slow rolling. How do they roll on asphalt?