Aluminum frame repairs

Hi guys 

I have had a crash at the SA track Champs and damaged my frames top tube and I'm getting so many opinions of what I should do. I borrowed this frame for the race but unfortunately accidents happen so the hope is to repair it but I don't know if it's possible. It's a aluminum frame and the tt bars dented the top tube as my cleat slipped out and knock my wheel out underneath me. It this repairable?,should I just leave it or who should I talk too.

20240323_140045.jpg

20240323_140006.jpg

I believe that’s all she wrote for that frame.. I mean you could probably ride it like that for a long time still but that’s not repairable from my understanding.. 

That a CAAD? My understanding that is a well kept secret held by Cannondale 

so how would one know what heat it could safely handle?

I would ride it like that but the sharp edges at the damage would certainly start to crack eventually

If you borrowed the frame, you will have to get the owner a replacement. 

Accidents do happen, but if it were my frame, I wouldn't be happy knowing it was repaired and wouldn't be happy getting it back like that

Edited by Eugene

4 hours ago, Eugene said:

If you borrowed the frame, you will have to get the owner a replacement. 

Accidents do happen, but if it were my frame, I wouldn't be happy knowing it was repaired and wouldn't be happy getting it back like that

I agree, He should speak to the owner, I wouldn’t want it back if I was the owner 😅

Unfortunately I can't help with a dent....I'd almost say ride as it is....but def chat to the owner....if it's cracked I could help with that.

All best

I've ridden bikes with similar large dents on the top tube for years. Not recommended, but you'll be fine. Welding al wrecks the heat treating (which is expensive to re-do). If it is cracked, that's a more worrying structural issue, but doesn't look it.

Sand off the paint, buy some body filler, fill the dent, sand it smooth, re-paint or touch up the spot. And tell the owner. A decent paint job and it'll look good as new.