GX cassette replacement

TPN

16 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

What would final cost on this be when it is finally in your hands ?

Probably the price of the goods plus the shipping amount plus around 20% tax 

1 hour ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

What would final cost on this be when it is finally in your hands ?

As I understand it, the shipping costs are not too heavy and the tax a.f.a.i.k. is 15% depending on what you import. Clothing for example has import duties, but I don't think components have.

I had a chat with @MORNE  about this a while back and this is what I recall. He orders from there from time to time.

The math is more involved, but the price you see there +/-25% (excl shipping) is landed cost. Thats 15% Vat plus around 10% service charge. Bike parts do not attract duties. Other things do. Theres a few hundred page SARS doc on their website if you are interested. 

ive answered this Q 3 times already via PM in the past week lol.

So easy thumbsuck is just +25% on listed prices there. I say before shipping because over s certain amount, shipping is free.

You get 3 goes a calendar year on your ID number, total 50k value. More than that you need an importers code…or SARS will ask questions/possibly fine you.

Edited by MORNE

To highjack this thread and rather not create another chain thread. Why do some bike shops not want to change the chain at .5 wear?

I asked my LBS to replace the chain when it was in for some other work as well and when I got the bike back they said they don't recommend swapping chain and rather ride everything till it becomes a problem and replace then. So I got the tools and replaced the chain myself, previously I've also had this response from other LBS, other though swap the chain. 

General internet advice seems to be to swap chain as well... I understand sometimes a cassette is to far and chains skips when replaced, but with my Sram and now Shimano I haven't personally had this happen. 

6 hours ago, Jbr said:

I hope so although I don't really see the point of that, why not just clean the one chain and replace it once it's passed the .25 mark ? because once your two chains are passed that, you'll start chewing your cassette anyways

I tried that .... TOO LATE ... chain ring does not like the new chain.

No, I wont be swopping chains every 500km .... maybe every 1000 to 1500km ....

For now I am still riding on that chain, chain ring and cassette.  Now past 0,5, but still working, so it stays on ....

1 hour ago, Newbie321 said:

To highjack this thread and rather not create another chain thread. Why do some bike shops not want to change the chain at .5 wear?

I asked my LBS to replace the chain when it was in for some other work as well and when I got the bike back they said they don't recommend swapping chain and rather ride everything till it becomes a problem and replace then. So I got the tools and replaced the chain myself, previously I've also had this response from other LBS, other though swap the chain. 

General internet advice seems to be to swap chain as well... I understand sometimes a cassette is to far and chains skips when replaced, but with my Sram and now Shimano I haven't personally had this happen. 

Maybe to prevent what happened to me.

0,5 is a LOT of wear.  With a fair chance that the ring also needs replacement ....

I have since done about 3 000 km.  No sounds or slipping nor shifting issues.

1 hour ago, Newbie321 said:

As a general rule - replace chain only before 0.5% and you're good. At or just over 0.5 and you'll need to do chainring as well due to chain suck. Much over 0.5 and you'll need to do the whole lot, so just run it till it explodes or you have an event coming up.

47 minutes ago, droo said:

As a general rule - replace chain only before 0.5% and you're good. At or just over 0.5 and you'll need to do chainring as well due to chain suck. Much over 0.5 and you'll need to do the whole lot, so just run it till it explodes or you have an event coming up.

Thanks, guess I was lucky then. Will run the current setup till it goes boom and then replace everything, And keep a better eye on the chain next time

Edited by Newbie321

18 hours ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Id personally go for a gx Cassette again. Currently running a gx cassette with 2 x01 chains and a xx1 chainring, switching chains every 500km, heard you can get some serious milage with that type of setup. 

The GX cassette and XO1 chain option last forever and ever - it even survived the muddy mess that was the last Joberg2C, which I could not believe.

3 hours ago, nonky said:

The GX cassette and XO1 chain option last forever and ever - it even survived the muddy mess that was the last Joberg2C, which I could not believe.

Hope so, will see how long it lasts 😎