Need to increase diameter of stem

Sampaj

Looking for an engineer and cyclist that can increase the inner diameter of the stem hole to be able to fit around my fork tube which is slightly larger. 

make sense? Happy to share pics and measurements if someone can help - pay of course 

…or just buy a new stem. They’re one of the cheapest components generally speaking, any engineering time spent is likely to vastly outweigh the cost of just getting a new one.

are you sure it's not just an OD2 stem you need? Check with Giant - that's their thing.

Machining a stem or steerer will remove material that might actually be needed for strength.

Thanks guys forgot it was 1 April. 
its a Cinelli altar stem and I’d love to use it on this bike

not sure pic helps

IMG_0924.jpeg

I would not attempt it for safety's sake...would you honestly trust a reamed out stem not to fail while riding??

39 minutes ago, guidodg said:

I would not attempt it for safety's sake...would you honestly trust a reamed out stem not to fail while riding??

You’re right

ill have to do something more realistic- like buy a bike that the stem will fit on.

thank you

12 minutes ago, Sampaj said:

You’re right

ill have to do something more realistic- like buy a bike that the stem will fit on.

thank you

Just marry the * stem. Might be cheaper. 

So, looks like the alter you have is 1 1/8th and the steerer is 1” At the time, 20+ years ago, a lot of the ahead stems came with an adaptor shim in the box. Might still have one or two floating around. @Sampaj what is the height of the alter stem where it clamps around the steerer tube? 

1 hour ago, letsride said:

So, looks like the alter you have is 1 1/8th and the steerer is 1” At the time, 20+ years ago, a lot of the ahead stems came with an adaptor shim in the box. Might still have one or two floating around. @Sampaj what is the height of the alter stem where it clamps around the steerer tube? 

Thanks @letsride does this help https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/cinelli-alter-stem-3

12 hours ago, letsride said:

looks to me like the steerer is bigger than the hole in the stem

Apologies, you are both quite right. No way to do this safely @Sampaj. These stems were made in both 1 and 1 1/8th, best bet would be to do a swap. 

Thank you everyone for the informed information- much appreciated