Everesting Hill repeats hosted by D'Ville Cyclery Club

JM Rides Bikes

Eish, that profile looks very irregular with really steep pitches.

185km there ain't gonna be a walk in the park

Think you need to shorten that segment slightly so it starts at the actual foot of the climb. Strava shows the first 200m as downhill which can constitute unacceptable kinetic gain.

3 minutes ago, binxc said:

Think you need to shorten that segment slightly so it starts at the actual foot of the climb. Strava shows the first 200m as downhill which can constitute unacceptable kinetic gain.

The segment is ok. Weve done many recognized Everesting attempts there over the past years.

The problem with stopping right at the bottom is that is makes the turnaround dangerous. 

Edited by JacquesJ

3 minutes ago, binxc said:

There is a bit of a downhill before the climb starts. But to get there you would still need to climb back up every time. So dont think it makes a difference.

12 minutes ago, JacquesJ said:

The segment is ok. Weve done many recognized Everesting attempts there over the past years.

The problem with stopping right at the bottom is that is makes the turnaround dangerous. 

the strava calculator says NO, about 15% of the vertical gain is on the downhill! They might have adjusted things since it was last recognised so I would DEFINITELY check in with them.

If your descent includes a bit of climbing this still counts toward your total. Keep in mind that this is a climbing challenge, and routes with ‘kinetic gain’ should be checked via the everesting calculator first. The calculator has a built-in ‘check’ on descent elevation gain. You’ll know yourself from riding it in real life whether your chosen segment has a gain on the descent. We want to avoid ‘free metres’ where possible. A ‘rule of thumb’ should be applied when looking at a route with elevation gain on a descent or kinetic gain. If it feels like you are gaming the system, then you probably are! Ask us first if in doubt (it’s never nice explaining this afterwards).

3 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

the strava calculator says NO, about 15% of the vertical gain is on the downhill! They might have adjusted things since it was last recognised so I would DEFINITELY check in with them.

If your descent includes a bit of climbing this still counts toward your total. Keep in mind that this is a climbing challenge, and routes with ‘kinetic gain’ should be checked via the everesting calculator first. The calculator has a built-in ‘check’ on descent elevation gain. You’ll know yourself from riding it in real life whether your chosen segment has a gain on the descent. We want to avoid ‘free metres’ where possible. A ‘rule of thumb’ should be applied when looking at a route with elevation gain on a descent or kinetic gain. If it feels like you are gaming the system, then you probably are! Ask us first if in doubt (it’s never nice explaining this afterwards).

I also went straight to their calculator and checked, and it says it "looks like a loop" (confusing wording).

image.png.6cf9a0e1cd5339e7e6bfe529d3fe5591.png

Then I tried Suikerbossie, and it says that is a loop too, so I think it may be broken...

4 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

I also went straight to their calculator and checked, and it says it "looks like a loop" (confusing wording).

image.png.6cf9a0e1cd5339e7e6bfe529d3fe5591.png

Then I tried Suikerbossie, and it says that is a loop too, so I think it may be broken...

I'm not involved in this Everesting attempt, but have been in a few previous ones and we had exactly the same questions. 

I mailed them, didn't get a reply, but we went ahead anyway an every one of the participants were recognized. Rules haven't changed, so I'd be surprised if it will be an issue but agree that it may be a good idea for the organizer to try and double check. I can send some sample hall-of-fame activities for verification if you want.
(I wouldn't hold my breath though - they didn't respond quickly on email - maybe try Facebook)

W.r.t the looks like a loop issue - was also present last year and I also enquired. Feedback back then was that it's a known bug and could be ignored. 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/everesting/permalink/1644624899367045

Regardless of all the segment talk above - Good luck to anyone attempting this.
It is a truly monumentous day out and a massive achievement to anyone who completes is.

I'm not crazy enough to attempt this again (yet)- 1x half-everesting was tough enough.
That said, I know I'll have FOMO on the day and may rock up for a few support laps.

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

There is a bit of a downhill before the climb starts. But to get there you would still need to climb back up every time. So dont think it makes a difference.

As per the Everesting website - they might consider the downhill section leading into the climb as free metres as you can build momentum and hit the bottom with more speed (understood that it might not pan out that way when you actually ride it - maybe it is flatter than it looks on Strava, but they will be looking at the segment on Strava). 
"We want to avoid ‘free metres’ where possible. A ‘rule of thumb’ should be applied when looking at a route with elevation gain on a descent or kinetic gain. If it feels like you are gaming the system, then you probably are! Ask us first if in doubt (it’s never nice explaining this afterwards)."

1 hour ago, JacquesJ said:

Noted and course safety is obviously paramount. I've also done several recognised Everesting activities and my neurotic personality would not want to take chances with putting all that effort in and not getting it recognised due to a technicality. 

Edited by binxc

1 hour ago, Ozzie NL said:

Eish, that profile looks very irregular with really steep pitches.

185km there ain't gonna be a walk in the park

To do the full Everesting, you will need to do about 68 loops or 312km.  Granted, half of that is downhill.

in terms of the segment, that specific segment has been used in the past for various everesting attempts, both quarter camp, base camp, full and 10k.  

4 people have done the full everesting on Malanshoogte, here are their Strava activities the last one being done by Willem Mouton on 21 July 2023.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4243455478

https://www.strava.com/activities/9501669270

https://www.strava.com/activities/5225232380

https://www.strava.com/activities/5225075364

Andrew and Stephan also did the 10k on that climb

https://www.strava.com/activities/6370185909

https://www.strava.com/activities/6370170084

We did contact the Hells500 club about the segment but haven't had a response yet. However, given that the segment has been vetted numerous times before (and the rules haven't changed), I don't think one needs to worry too much.

6 minutes ago, Denis Dell said:

To do the full Everesting, you will need to do about 68 loops or 312km.  Granted, half of that is downhill.

As I have it you’ll need to do 80 loops for full Everest; 8848/111. 
ie 185km up and the same down. 

Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Just on pure feel here. I have done this climb on numerous occasions. That descent leading upto the actual climb, I can definitely say the momentum gained from the descent will assist in propelling you up the initial few meters up there. It’s a pretty fast descent.

2 minutes ago, Ozzie NL said:

As I have it you’ll need to do 80 loops for full Everest; 8848/111. 
ie 185km up and the same down. 

Am I missing something?

The calculation error you've made is that the segment is 2.3km, you still need to go down as well, so one lap will be 4.6km.

The actual elevation is also 133 meters (total lap gain), so that means you need to do 66.9 laps, rounded up, so that means you need to do 67 laps.  However, you NEVER want to be one lap short, so see the last lap as a victory lap and to make sure you definitely exceed the 8848.

So the correct calculation is 4.6km * 68 = 312km for the day.  (of which 2.3km * 68 = 156.4km is climbing)