I just picked up a Surly Long Haul Trucker for exactly this purpose.

Super basic bikes purpose built for touring and built to withstand the apocalypse. 

Long chain stays, comfortable geometry, steel, good tyre clearances that give you tyre options, simple components, mounting points for fenders bottles and racks and and and.

Won't win a beauty contest but gets the job done.

And all for R4k. 

What's not to like? 

6 hours ago, CaptainKipper said:

Super basic bikes purpose built for touring and built to withstand the apocalypse. 

Long chain stays, comfortable geometry, steel, good tyre clearances that give you tyre options, simple components, mounting points for fenders bottles and racks and and and.

And all for R4k. 

What's not to like? 

Photo pse

On 4/13/2024 at 11:10 PM, CaptainKipper said:

And all for R4k. 

What's not to like? 

@CaptainKipper yes. this bike doesn't exist without photos.

@cvdup maybe not what you're looking for, but decathlon classify this as a "touring bike". i don't see why, no visible mounting attachments for one and a suspension fork.

https://www.decathlon.co.za/mountain-bikes/329414-54169-29quote-touring-mountain-bike-explore-540-blue-black.html

@Prince Albert Cycles and @Shebeen I'm not near it at the moment to give you pics, but its a stock bike for now, circa 2010/2012. I have gathered a few bits n pieces but being in Dubai makes it tricky. It will remain stock for a while until I figure out what works for me and what doesn't. Google will show you.

4 hours ago, CaptainKipper said:

@Prince Albert Cycles and @Shebeen I'm not near it at the moment to give you pics, but its a stock bike for now, circa 2010/2012. I have gathered a few bits n pieces but being in Dubai makes it tricky. It will remain stock for a while until I figure out what works for me and what doesn't. Google will show you.

Would love to see your bike and setup when done

Yeah, I like them too but not available in SA. Importing would be only option and it would be an expensive exercise.

Like the LHT, they have a cult following.

On 4/19/2024 at 1:05 AM, CaptainKipper said:

Yeah, I like them too but not available in SA. Importing would be only option and it would be an expensive exercise.

Like the LHT, they have a cult following.

500 Euros to import. Madness