GARMIN EDGE 530: how to add 2nd bike profile?

tinmug

I know I've done it before. But for the life of me I cannot figure out how to add a second bike profile to my Edge 530.

I got as far as typing a new name for it aaaand ... well, that's it. The buttons either add more characters to the name, change the character menu or quit (or switch off the unit).

How can this be so difficult? How can I be this dumb?

12 minutes ago, tinmug said:

I know I've done it before. But for the life of me I cannot figure out how to add a second bike profile to my Edge 530.

I got as far as typing a new name for it aaaand ... well, that's it. The buttons either add more characters to the name, change the character menu or quit (or switch off the unit).

The simplest tech will make you feel the dumbest 🤷🏼‍♂️🤣🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, Bichael Dewing said:

The simplest tech will make you feel the dumbest 🤷🏼‍♂️🤣🤣🤣

I manage to come to the same conclusion all by myself. 🤯

How does Garmin Connect and Strava handle a 2nd bike? For eg I have one road and one MTB and like to keep them seperate.....

19 minutes ago, love2fly said:

How does Garmin Connect and Strava handle a 2nd bike? For eg I have one road and one MTB and like to keep them seperate.....

Seamlessly. If your 2 profiles are set up with the 2 different bikes, and as long as you select the appropriate profile when you start the activity, it works without issue. At least mine does. The 530 is a great little unit, use mine when navigating on long rides and no issues, again, as long as you switch off the auto-reroute function and so on. 

7 minutes ago, droo said:

This. There's a green tick on the scroll loop.

Oh F$&k.! I’ve done this before, can’t remember what I was trying to do though but yeah you scroll back up to the tick.. took way longer than it should have to figure that out🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, tinmug said:

The Garmin UI is one of the least intuitive I've ever experienced, it's really not you, it's just piss poor!

35 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

The green tick?

Bingo! 🤘😎🤦‍♂️

Thank you for that. I was just about to order that Wahoo.

And thanks for all the ideas and videos everyone, hugely appreciated (and staves off the straitjacket for another day). 

The feature of setting us profile via Garmin Connect in the 540/840 almost makes an upgrade look justifiable.

Agree that its just a royal pain to configure profile on the device 

From what I’ve seen on DCRainmaker, the touchscreen UI on the 830 is much simpler to use when compared to the 5 buttons on the 530 for example. It takes some getting used to without a doubt. My Edge 500 serves as a backup on navigation rides and that just works so well with 4 buttons. That thing is still bulletproof but of course it lacks all the fancy features of the newer models. 

CORRECTION: 7 buttons on the 530, I had to use a calculator to make sure!

Edited by gemmerbal