Casette upgrade

CraigD'

Hi everyone, I'm a social cyclist making use of a mountain bike so that I can do basic off-road and road riding. My casette is showing signs of wear, so the thought of upgrading a bit crossed my mind. Currently 10 speed 11-34. See pic. The question is, what range within 10 speed can I upgrade to?

Will 11-42 be compatible without changing other components?

C

20240408_124236.jpg

How do you know Cassette is showing signs of wear? Is it skipping. Normally you will know from these sorts of issues i.e. skipping or shifting issues. However if your chain has worn too far then its not just a cassette upgrade - its likely cassette plus chain and potentially chainrings. These all work as a system so you need to measure your chain wear and get the cassette inspected - epsecially the smaller teeth.

FWIW you have a long cage clutch derailleur so you can therefore run a wider range cassette, but again to do that you often need a longer chain FWIW Its the norm to do cassette and chain at the same time so if you are trying to gte more gears for climbing you can put on a cassette with a bigger range. Whats your front - 2 x or 3 x?

Thank you Paul and Prego for the advice. I have 3 up front. The chain rings are still good.

The 11-42 looks like an interesting option.

What makes you think an 11-42 is an upgrade? Wide cassettes were designed for a 1x setup. With your 3x, I think this would be more frustrating than beneficial 

8 hours ago, CraigD' said:

Hi everyone, I'm a social cyclist making use of a mountain bike so that I can do basic off-road and road riding. My casette is showing signs of wear, so the thought of upgrading a bit crossed my mind. Currently 10 speed 11-34. See pic. The question is, what range within 10 speed can I upgrade to?

Will 11-42 be compatible without changing other components?

C

20240408_124236.jpg

Deore CS M4100 could work but it’s was designed to work with a 2 x 10 system. You could just remove the inner ring as I don’t think the chain or rear derailleur can cope with the range of a 22 to 42 and a 42 to 11.

not sure what crank you have but a 42 -28 would work nicely but you likely have to change the chainring mounting spider 

3 hours ago, Richard7735 said:

Hi Craig. Your chain is the wrong way around. 

10speed didn’t care about chain directionality 

5 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Tell that to Coolheat who told me my previous 10sp  XT chain snapped twice in first 100km because it is directional.and I put it on the wrong way 🙄.

Did get it warrantied in the end.

Edited by JacquesJ

21 minutes ago, JacquesJ said:

Tell that to Coolheat who told me my previous 10sp  XT chain snapped twice in first 100km because it is directional.and I put it on the wrong way 🙄.

Did get it warrantied in the end.

You lost me at Coolheat….😂

9 hours ago, Richard7735 said:

Hi Craig. Your chain is the wrong way around. 

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea.

6 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Is this really necessary? Yes it's only a 10sp. Does that mean it's seen as inferior compared to other standards.

2 minutes ago, CraigD' said:

Is this really necessary? Yes it's only a 10sp. Does that mean it's seen as inferior compared to other standards.

NO basically 10spd was just much less sensitive to changes or setup quirks 

Because it only has to move 9 times in a fixed space it had much more grace or room for error where a 12spd system must move 11 times within that same fixed space so the smallest change has a bigger influence on how smoothly the whole thing operates. 

Like chain directionality is one of those factors 

21 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

NO basically 10spd was just much less sensitive to changes or setup quirks 

Because it only has to move 9 times in a fixed space it had much more grace or room for error where a 12spd system must move 11 times within that same fixed space so the smallest change has a bigger influence on how smoothly the whole thing operates. 

Like chain directionality is one of those factors 

And because 11 speed chains were designed to be unidirectional whereas 10 speed was designed to be agnostic to mounting direction