WC Enduro Round 2

Robbie Stewart

I'm curious and I can't hold it in any longer. With about two weeks to go for the as yet to be announced Enduro event of the WC Enduro calendar, there is nothing but radio silence. No entry portal, no movement on social media. Nothing. Nada. Niks. Bokkerol.

Planning for an event takes some doing, sure. But if the requirement is for people to enter then surely marketing should have been firing on all cylinders by now? Sales should have been just about done and the excitement of training should have been in full swing.

But instead, the search for Extra Terrestrial Life continues it seems.

Am I the only one thinking Enduro is dead again?

Enduro is not dead. That is for sure.

The 1st one at Hoogies was very well attended. 

Last comms I had is that Round 2 is on the 28th of April, but they need to tie up a few loose ends before announcing. I am not sure if the amount of crashes on Hoogekraal maybe is influencing the delay somehow?

Definitely looking forward to #2 and Witfontein is already marked in the calendar.

I'm keen on riding one again. I missed Hoogies much to my dismay so I'm just amped to participate again. I'm also strongly considering Witfontein. It's a reason to go "home" again.

@V18 says my hand might turn out like this though?

also, i only like these things if i can do them with you @BikeGenie…in 30* + heat?

IMG_1595.gif

Edited by MORNE

8 minutes ago, MORNE said:

@V18 says my hand might turn out like this though?

also, i only like these things if i can do them with you @BikeGenie…in 30* + heat?

IMG_1595.gif

@V18 is not wrong... he's apparently a medical professional.

30+ degree temps are the death of me @MORNE , i'm renting out my bike next summer... 

I think this sort of marketing/exposure is endemic to the cycling industry in SA.

The information is there, but it's only available IF you're already part of the inner circle.

Road events are the same, those who know, know, but if you're not on the whattsapp group or active on the right social media platforms in the right circles, it's like looking for Wally without your spectacles on.

I have no idea how to rectify it, but it seems to me like organisers cry about not getting enough 'bums in seats' but do absolutely nothing to attract new/more people than those who will be there anyway.

23 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I think this sort of marketing/exposure is endemic to the cycling industry in SA.

The information is there, but it's only available IF you're already part of the inner circle.

Road events are the same, those who know, know, but if you're not on the whattsapp group or active on the right social media platforms in the right circles, it's like looking for Wally without your spectacles on.

I have no idea how to rectify it, but it seems to me like organisers cry about not getting enough 'bums in seats' but do absolutely nothing to attract new/more people than those who will be there anyway.

Agree, they do a decent enough job on the gram (the only reason i have it) and we try and do our best to circulate around internally and on here. But it is what it is i guess. They still sell out at this stage according to organizers. This one is apparently having some administrative speedbumps related to council permits or something. They are obviously too pre-occupied with politicking at the moment lol. 

anyway, some new sponsors on board and the previous one at hoogies was well run, even with the unfortunate incident on stage 3. 

you should come do one again! We can suck together!

16 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm curious and I can't hold it in any longer. With about two weeks to go for the as yet to be announced Enduro event of the WC Enduro calendar, there is nothing but radio silence. No entry portal, no movement on social media. Nothing. Nada. Niks. Bokkerol.

Planning for an event takes some doing, sure. But if the requirement is for people to enter then surely marketing should have been firing on all cylinders by now? Sales should have been just about done and the excitement of training should have been in full swing.

But instead, the search for Extra Terrestrial Life continues it seems.

Am I the only one thinking Enduro is dead again?

Agreed it's not very well planned if lose ends have not been tied up 2 weeks before. I understand it takes alot to organize but that shiuld of been planned long ago 

The turn out is sure to be less for round 2

The later it gets in the month to buy a ticket the less money people will have to buy the ticket.

Personally, I'm a planner. I like to know what's happening and the longer it takes for details the less I see myself attending the next one

Hoegeies was rad BTW. Had a good time considering the circumstances 

31 minutes ago, herrowpreeze said:

Agreed it's not very well planned if lose ends have not been tied up 2 weeks before. I understand it takes alot to organize but that shiuld of been planned long ago 

The turn out is sure to be less for round 2

The later it gets in the month to buy a ticket the less money people will have to buy the ticket.

Personally, I'm a planner. I like to know what's happening and the longer it takes for details the less I see myself attending the next one

Hoegeies was rad BTW. Had a good time considering the circumstances 

Its after pay day for most (28th) and im sure if it gets pushed for whatever reason they’ll allow entries right up to the morning. Its the worst kept secret where it will be, everybody has known for more than a month. It will sell out again. The council red tape is out of their control and they are expecting approval shortly (i have it on good authority) 

Edited by MORNE

On that note, this also almost happend to witfontein last year if you recall. (Getting approval to host an event from the city/forestry overlords) 

@MORNE  It is the day after Swartberg Gran Fondo!

I doubt I will get back from Prince Albert with enough legs or motivation to make this unfortunately.