Hardtail VS Full Suspension

3 minutes ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

What trek you own ? Saw the procaliber it looks pretty sick 😁

Trek Procaliber, the Isospeed at the rear definitlely helps on the longer "gravel" type rides.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, CraigCCW said:

Trek Procaliber, the Isospeed at the rear definitlely helps on the longer "gravel" type rides.

Ì like these frames... would make an awesome gravel monster bike I reckon!

1 minute ago, CraigCCW said:

Thank you, was looking at one, but the price you pay for the specs you get was not worth it for me. Would love to get a frame only and build it up 😊

20 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

I do rides over 100km, quite often.  I can't really say what the difference is, the last time I rode a DS was in 2021, I think.  I am just used to a steel HT with 100mm travel.

OP, for reference, this guy also has a Tigre ;) 

2 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

Ì like these frames... would make an awesome gravel monster bike I reckon!

Agreed, I see alot of guys on races like the Atlas Mountain race use them, with drop bars.

2 minutes ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Thank you, was looking at one, but the price you pay for the specs you get was not worth it for me. Would love to get a frame only and build it up 😊

Yes, some of the builds aren't great spec wise. I luckily found one second hand that has great components, only had to upgrade from 11 to 12 speed.

59 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

Having sold my HT in 2022 and upgrading to a FS I can categorically state that I miss the simplicity of my HT, as well as the reduced running costs especially after a very muddy 361 and a wet TB. If I could choose it all over again I’d keep my HT. My DS is excellent but just overall the HT is cheaper and simpler even though slightly less comfortable. And that is just because I’m a fatty at 1,8m and 100kg. 

I did the same move and couldn't agree more, especially wrt simplicity and maintenance.

Thinking of getting a carbon HT frame and transferring all my components, keeping the FS frame for when and if the need arises (stage races). Usually only get to ride once a week. HT is even better when the fitness is there, bike is a lot more fun and agile with the weight reduction.

I had a carbon hardtail, road bike and a DS. Too much maintenance etc...Kept the road bike, sold the DS and sold the carbon hardtail for tire clearance issues.  Tried a gravel bike but its too harsh of a ride and kept dining rims on descends. 

Bought a rapide frame and have a 30mm id rapide wheelset and a set of AC wide lightnings, have a fox 32 100mm and a fox 34 120mm forks + a Rigid fork and looking for a lauf. 

Most of the time I just run the 100mm fork with race kings front and back, its fast and the steel frame is nice and soft. 

For gravel races I just put on the rigid fork with the race kings, for attas and the rough stuff just run the 100mm or the 120mm with some 2.35 tyres.

Its a quick swop, takes a few hours.

The rapide frame is heavy but if you can get a nice carbon frame with good tyre clearance its a good option

6 minutes ago, CraigCCW said:

Agreed, I see alot of guys on races like the Atlas Mountain race use them, with drop bars.

Exactly!

3 minutes ago, ct_rider said:

I did the same move and couldn't agree more, especially wrt simplicity and maintenance.

Thinking of getting a carbon HT frame and transferring all my components, keeping the FS frame for when and if the need arises (stage races). Usually only get to ride once a week. HT is even better when the fitness is there, bike is a lot more fun and agile with the weight reduction.

My HT had a threaded BB and I didn't mind riding in the wet, that BB is super easy to service. The DS is pressfit and when I hear that grinding noise in the wet I start counting R1, R2, R3, R50, R200 and so on... haha

I'm sure everything has already been said here, but allow me to add the bits that came to mind immediately (without reading through the whole discussion ... sheesh people, I know it's only Wednesday but there is work to do!).

Hardtail: quite frankly I find the stress of looking after pivots and yet another suspension part far more stressful than it sound to me before I bought a bike. Then again my local mechanic is seemingly as skilled as a Mongolian nun when it comes to servicing bikes, and the next nearest mechanic is only marginally better. Also I am poor. And old. So image is not a priority for me.

What was the question again (see! I told you I'm old)?

Second wheel set does make sense. Or a cheap road bike. it will make you enjoy your MTB even more. 

* Disclaimer: it's been a few years since I've ridding a hard tail, so I may be writing from a sense of false impression re the comfort and the effects on my wrinkly old arse.

But I like mechanical simplicity. And I suppose what I was really trying to say above (but didn't; refer to my point re age) is that buy a hard tail might leave a little change that can go towards a nice little carbon gravel bike. You know you want to. Why else would you seek encouragement? 😆