Newbie post: Looking to buy a mountain bike , no idea where to start . Please help

Skanzo

Hi all. 

Ive decided to buy a mountain bike for fitness but need some help . 

Im  194 cm , 120 odd kgs , 39 years old.  

Mostly want to cycle around farm roads and coastal forests  on the KZN North Coast. 

I dont really know what to look out for , but know that I dont want to buy something heavy which I am not going to enjoy . 

What should I be looking at getting into this. 

I realise budget is as long as a piece of string but what should I  be looking at if I am just starting off , want something relatively affordable, but dont  want something heavy and crap which is going to put me off?

Appreciate any advice  

Welcome!

Your first time mtb'ing? Do you have a price range (ex R10-15k, more or less?)? Are you inclined to buy new or happy to use Le Hub for a second hand purchase?

First thing is to go and visit as many bike shops as you can to hear their opinions on what you should get. Often you can pick up some good tips there. But beware of the fact that they will always offer you a bike from stock they presently have on the floor which might not always suit you 100%.

Search the forums for good information that has already been given on BikeHub. Type in appropriate key words into the search box and spend a lot of time reading.

Understand that cycling has become an expensive sport so select wisely the first time.

At your height and weight it looks like you'll need an extra large bike and as long as you're not planning on riding lots of steep hills I wouldn't overly worry about the bike weight. If you were considering entering races in the future then you could start considering the weight aspect as being more important.

A hardtail bike (only a shock absorbing fork upfront and no rear suspension) is probably the best choice for you as it's cheaper to buy and maintain. But many a rider have bought a hard tail and then a year or two later traded it in for a dual suspension as it gives a lot more comfort on the rougher terrain. You state farm and forest roads so a hard tail could be your best choice. Getting wider rims (upgrade) to accommodate bigger volume tyres will also help in giving you a much more comfortable ride. 

Also don't forget that purchasing other items like padded shorts, cycling shirts, gloves,  helmet, pump, tubeless tyre upgrade, tyre repair kit and some basic tools are all costs you should also keep in mind.

In the future a heart rate monitor with GPS tracking, cleated shoes, riding glasses (with optical inserts if you have prescription lenses) and then a good set of bike tools (shock pump & torque wrench) might be something to consider.

So, consider all your options well before buying and seek out good advice from serious cyclists in your area.

Bargains are not that easy to come across these days (post COVID times) but still possible on BikeHub but unfortunately the bargain bikes are sold very quickly and you've got to be quick on the uptake.

Good luck on your cycling journey.

Your love of cycling is about to begin...

Don't buy the cheapest bike you can find.

Find out what the various groupsets are (that would be the derailleur, shifters etc) and aim for (at least) mid range. So at least (plain) Deore in Shimano and whatever the equivalent is in Sram (NX?). If possible go Shimano SLX or Sram GX: very good quality and as expensive to maintain as their high-end stuff.

Single chainring in the front nice to have.

Front suspension: avoid coil spring forks like the plague it is. Must be air, and of used the stanchions (metal rods) must be 300% blemish and oil free.

Definitely scour the used market: some great bikes there for a LOT less than you'd pay new. 

Awesome journey ahead. Welcome and ENJOY. 🙂

8 hours ago, Rowl said:

Welcome!

Your first time mtb'ing? Do you have a price range (ex R10-15k, more or less?)? Are you inclined to buy new or happy to use Le Hub for a second hand purchase?

Hi Rowl.  I mean I cylced as a kid  but   not really anything since.    Ya 10 - 15  would work. I would go new or use the hub .  I dont even know what type of mountain bike to get ! 

21 minutes ago, tinmug said:

Don't buy the cheapest bike you can find.

Find out what the various groupsets are (that would be the derailleur, shifters etc) and aim for (at least) mid range. So at least (plain) Deore in Shimano and whatever the equivalent is in Sram (NX?). If possible go Shimano SLX or Sram GX: very good quality and as expensive to maintain as their high-end stuff.

Single chainring in the front nice to have.

Front suspension: avoid coil spring forks like the plague it is. Must be air, and of used the stanchions (metal rods) must be 300% blemish and oil free.

Definitely scour the used market: some great bikes there for a LOT less than you'd pay new. 

Awesome journey ahead. Welcome and ENJOY. 🙂

Thank you Tinmug. Appreciate the info.  I have heard  what you said about shimano , so defintily nice to hear that validated.

57 minutes ago, robbybzgo said:

First thing is to go and visit as many bike shops as you can to hear their opinions on what you should get. Often you can pick up some good tips there. But beware of the fact that they will always offer you a bike from stock they presently have on the floor which might not always suit you 100%.

Search the forums for good information that has already been given on BikeHub. Type in appropriate key words into the search box and spend a lot of time reading.

Understand that cycling has become an expensive sport so select wisely the first time.

At your height and weight it looks like you'll need an extra large bike and as long as you're not planning on riding lots of steep hills I wouldn't overly worry about the bike weight. If you were considering entering races in the future then you could start considering the weight aspect as being more important.

A hardtail bike (only a shock absorbing fork upfront and no rear suspension) is probably the best choice for you as it's cheaper to buy and maintain. But many a rider have bought a hard tail and then a year or two later traded it in for a dual suspension as it gives a lot more comfort on the rougher terrain. You state farm and forest roads so a hard tail could be your best choice. Getting wider rims (upgrade) to accommodate bigger volume tyres will also help in giving you a much more comfortable ride. 

Also don't forget that purchasing other items like padded shorts, cycling shirts, gloves,  helmet, pump, tubeless tyre upgrade, tyre repair kit and some basic tools are all costs you should also keep in mind.

In the future a heart rate monitor with GPS tracking, cleated shoes, riding glasses (with optical inserts if you have prescription lenses) and then a good set of bike tools (shock pump & torque wrench) might be something to consider.

So, consider all your options well before buying and seek out good advice from serious cyclists in your area.

Bargains are not that easy to come across these days (post COVID times) but still possible on BikeHub but unfortunately the bargain bikes are sold very quickly and you've got to be quick on the uptake.

Good luck on your cycling journey.

Your love of cycling is about to begin...

An awesome post , thanks Robby. Appreciated

I have a mate and his wife who also started originally on old 26ers, they recently upgraded to 29ers and after lots of research on their budgets of 10 - 12K pulled the trigger on 2 Titan Rogue they got a good deal at CycleLab @ 12K each.

As already said

With your type of riding = hardtail

Frame material = Alu, I would not go for Carbon as a beginner 

Your height = XL frame 

Fork - Must be Air fork

Make sure Wheels are tubless or at least tubless ready

Gearing must be 1 X 12 or 1 X 11

Brakes - Hydraulic not cable

Check out used deals in classifieds like this one

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/716929/2022-titan-rogue-dash-xl-bike-carrier-helmet

Lots of good deals in your budget

Also factor in all the accessories you will need - Shoes - Cycle clothing - hydration - tools while riding - Helmet (make sure its a good helmet, dont skimp on this)

Good luck and welcome to cycling

@ 1.94m You'll need an XL - you could even get a XXL but they're not always available. 

For a budget of R15k I would consider one of these: 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/713827/giant-anthem-x-29-xl-1x11upgraded-boost-fork

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/713025/paul-bothma

This seller has a set of Spank wheels as well, maybe there's a deal to be had: 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/715451/trek-superfly 

Yo bud, we also have a Scott Spark 970 1x12, dropper and Xl for R20 000, well looked after no major scrapes and components all still good.

That Trek @RobertWhiteheadmentioned is also available with new magura brakes, 1x12 groupset, and optional Green Spank wheels.

071 491 4594 Pop me a whatsapp if you need any additional info

Happy to help !

I'm in two minds about rear suspension. Yes, it is very nice, but it requires one more thing that needs maintenance and is often heavy.

The Titan in links above look pretty good. The Giant is a nice bike but this example looks, um, well used. Also seems to be wear on the stanchions? Also the Anthem doesn't not have the best of reputations for heavy riders. The Specialized at Bike Market looks nice too – pity about the mixed bag of drivetrain components and the stanchions look like they may ave wear (pricey to rectify); strangely their condition ratings don't cover that? Might be worth enquiring though. Merida: rusty chain indicates poor maintenance. White forks are OLD forks. 

I  suggest you try and find out if there are any cycling clubs or cycling groups that you can join in your area. Getting a bike and riding on your own is not the best idea for a number of reasons. ( Accidents, security, mechanical failures etc.)  And if you are only going to be riding by yourself, it is my experience that it is quite easy to let yourself down. So find people to ride with.

Then find out what bikes those people have. In the beginning you may not have the fitness to keep up. Don't worry, cyclists are a friendly bunch and won't mind waiting for you in the beginning. But you don't want to be unable to keep up because of lack of fitness compounded by an inappropriate bike. 

Your best option - and i know there are going to be howls of protest - may be to buy an e-bike. They are fun to ride and suitable for riding in groups with non e-bike riders on low power settings. You still get a very hard workout if that is what you want. As a beginner they are easier to ride than non e-bikes and they allow you to keep up with fitter riders. A reasonable e-bike is going to cost much more than R10 - 15 K but it is more likely to be well used and you may avoid buying more than once in a short time frame.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy the shopping experience and more so that you enjoy your new sport.

If you are looking at new bikes I would reccomend Zini( Trail, Comp and Elite) and GT avalanche bikes. Zini comes with shimano components and GT comes with microshift / tektro. 

Please avoid sram SX and NX derailleurs and shifters on bikes.