Aero wheels vs Climbing wheels

Prince

An aero wheel is only effective if the cumulative effects of aero tuning elsewhere result in a nett reduction in drag. Merely fitting a aero wheelset does little simply because the air flow is being disrupted up stream.

I am interested in this assertion.

Why do you assume that the better air flow over the wheels is negated by the cumulative effects of not tuning the rest of the rider or bike  - the flow of air from the front over the wheels is not being disrupted further up stream any more so than it would be with regualr wheels.

If a rider does not change position, but simply adds a set of aero wheels, then I would assume that overall drag would be reduced ?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought the table credible if tehy had left out the 5sec hain from sahved legs...............

WEll' date=' there's that, and the fact that this study seems to come out of 1988 or so... they use Shimano Sante... released in 1987, and disapperaed about the same...

Technology has changed...

[/quote']

But aerodynamic principles have not

I would have thought the table credible if tehy had left out the 5sec hain from sahved legs...............

WEll' date=' there's that, and the fact that this study seems to come out of 1988 or so... they use Shimano Sante... released in 1987, and disapperaed about the same...

[/quote']

Granted, but with the changes specifically to the front end of bikes ie STI, Ergopower and the changes to brake calliper design surely will affect the findings. I was not disputing that, but rather questioning the relevance and accuracy of the study. Surely a more recent study would be better?

[/quote']

Granted, but with the changes specifically to the front end of bikes ie STI, Ergopower and the changes to brake calliper design surely will affect the findings. I was not disputing that, but rather questioning the relevance and accuracy of the study. Surely a more recent study would be better?

The findings may change as a result of smoother calipers etc but this is unlikely to effect the validity of the test in terms of the aero benefits of wheels, helmets etc - will have more of an effect on overall aero profile of the rider.

The study is certainly relevant, as for accuracy I cannot vouch, but what I can say is that the principles it establishes seem to be well borne out in other data I have seen.