Haven't cycled in 10 years. Advice on affordable hardtails pls?

I was doing some research and geez there is so much to consider. I'm bound to have regrets later on after my first purchase due to my own ignorance, so here I am. Hoping some insight can help prevent that :D

Hardtail MTB seems appealing. Our local roads are horrible, and there are tons of light off-road paths here along the beach to enjoy.

My budget for a used bike is about R8500ish, so I'll be a bit limited I believe. I'm 1.83m tall. Someone said I should look at getting a '29er'? Which bikes would you guys reccommend in this budget for me?

I've heard if gravel bikes too but those just sound like road bikrs with thicker tires. Cant imagine that does fantasticly off-the-beaten-path?

Thanks for any input!

Edited by Shakawkaw
forgot to ask a question

If you’re predominately going to be riding on the road, dirt road and smoother MTB trails even. A gravel bike is a really good option, they’re incredibly capable and versatile.

Alternatively if you’re more focused on OffRoad, a good spec hardtail is hard to beat, especially if you throw on a dropper post.

Go with as good a frame as possible, followed by components/suspension. Wheels can always be upgraded along the line, even stock OEM wheels have come a long ways these days. You can quite happily upgrade performance with alloy wheels and still save money.

Most importantly though, determine your sizing and bike fit.

Possibly XL but yes, use the filters on the classifieds and there's likely a lot of good options under R 10k for your stated use;

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/c/hardtail-mountain-bikes?minimum_price=7500&maximum_price=10000&meta_size[is_multi_select]=true&meta_size[value]=L%2CXL&meta_model_year[is_multi_select]=true&meta_model_year[value]=2023%2C2022%2C2021

Try for a newer (after 2020) bike as it's likely got better geometry and newer parts that would need less immediate maintenance / won;t run the risk of being obsolete or hard to find spares for.

29er.  For sure.

Gravel bike:  Les maintenance cost (no shocks).  Rolls faster on road and typical farm roads.
MTB:  Little bit more maintenance on front shock service.  Not as fast as GB but more comfortable.

Long term....what is your mission with the bike?  What will you be doing 80% of the time with the bike?
Just training in the neighborhood?  Race local MTB race once a year?  
This will help you decide what you need.

I am 1.83.  My bikes are all medium.  MTB is a large.

Another option to consider, if you're leaning more towards the road with the occasional offroad venture, but feel more comfortable on flatbars instead of drop bars. Consider a hardtail with a rigid fork. 
Again, going for a bike fit beforehand can help you make a determination.