Scammer: Joseph Malley aka King Sala (Marketplace)

RobynE

Spidey senses and a fake (but admittedly pretty good) SMS POP from ABSA made me turn left instead of right today when going to deliver a bike I’m selling.

He reached out through Marketplace. 

Was supposed to be instant pay Nedbank to Nedbank, guy spoke and wrote English well, knew the words “clipless” and “flats” (not in my ad). The instant pay of course wasn’t instant and I ghosted him the moment I received the POP (his “wife” was doing the payment).

A few red flags eg saying to me to not worry to wash the bike first, but by and large felt pretty solid - no GLARINGLY red flags. 

Kudos to CAP Security who has nothing to do with me and isn’t even in my area, but is in the area the seller gave me and very kindly arranged a vehicle to stand off outside the address I’d been given before I got there (arranged before I got the fake POP). 

Came home with my bike - not sure if it would have been an attempt to bully me into handing it over based on “money” having been “paid”, or if I’d just have been robbed blind when arriving at the address 🤷‍♀️ 

Dude is pretty well-spoken and if I was to guess, he’s Zimbabwean. Sounds humble and soft-spoken. He was happy to speak telephonically etc - not the usual 419-scam messaging only. Shortly after receiving the POP he called me and his tone had changed substantially - shorter, more aggressive. But sweet as pie leading up to that moment! 

Eyes open, folks! 

Edited by RobynE

Glad you didn't get scammed, 

But, just use BikeHub Pay and forget the rest.

Never offer to deliver or allow a courier to collect. 

Always tell a buyer you will meet at xxx bike shop and only conclude the deal upon viewing.
This is if you feel unsure about the deal. 

They immediately disappear when I say that.  

I think this is Marketplace as in FB Marketplace no Bike Hub Pay.