Safe route departing Johannesburg either East or West or ... ?

Hi folks

I'm a kiwi trying to plan a solo touring/bikepacking journey starting in August from Johannesburg, heading north into East Africa. I originally wanted to cover some of the Dragon Spine, but the reports suggest the original route has changed a bit, and is a little more uncertain. I can see that solo travel is not really recommended and I'm thinking about what I can do to transport from Johannesburg to somewhere less risky without skipping this part of the trip altogether.

I've previously cycled across Central Asia, through the Pamir/Wakhan and down into China - this was back in 2014. Recently it's been more through NZ.

The pedalpower (PPA) hotspots map looks a little grim from a Kiwi perspective, but it looks like its predominantly urban based data. 

I'd be disappointed not to cover some of the country, but I'm not inclined to do that where the safety risk doesn't warrant it.

Thanks for your thoughts

Stephen

Stephen, I can help you going south out of JHB if you change your plans of direction at all. The Joburg to Blouberg route is safe and scenic, but heading in the wrong direction for your current plan.

13 hours ago, Kiwi_steve said:

Hi folks

I'm a kiwi trying to plan a solo touring/bikepacking journey starting in August from Johannesburg, heading north into East Africa. I originally wanted to cover some of the Dragon Spine, but the reports suggest the original route has changed a bit, and is a little more uncertain. I can see that solo travel is not really recommended and I'm thinking about what I can do to transport from Johannesburg to somewhere less risky without skipping this part of the trip altogether.

I've previously cycled across Central Asia, through the Pamir/Wakhan and down into China - this was back in 2014. Recently it's been more through NZ.

The pedalpower (PPA) hotspots map looks a little grim from a Kiwi perspective, but it looks like its predominantly urban based data. 

I'd be disappointed not to cover some of the country, but I'm not inclined to do that where the safety risk doesn't warrant it.

Thanks for your thoughts

Stephen

If you are happy to leave from the Eastern Part of jhb or even Pretoria it is easy enough to get to the dragon's back route. There is a mtb race that covers cullinan to dullstroom that would only require a few small adjustments to be all on public roads. There are plenty of safe routes to cullinan from pta East. Dullstroom to the Dragon's back has a few options as well. I would go past the highest point in Mpumalanga and then through to steelpoort onto the dragons spine. From there I say good luck. Limpopo is the wild west with traffic and drivers. I would be more worried about that than crime. 

16 hours ago, Dusty said:

Stephen, I can help you going south out of JHB if you change your plans of direction at all. The Joburg to Blouberg route is safe and scenic, but heading in the wrong direction for your current plan.

Thanks Dusty. I'll come back to you if that looks like a better scenario. Cheers Stephen

16 hours ago, dave303e said:

If you are happy to leave from the Eastern Part of jhb or even Pretoria it is easy enough to get to the dragon's back route. There is a mtb race that covers cullinan to dullstroom that would only require a few small adjustments to be all on public roads. There are plenty of safe routes to cullinan from pta East. Dullstroom to the Dragon's back has a few options as well. I would go past the highest point in Mpumalanga and then through to steelpoort onto the dragons spine. From there I say good luck. Limpopo is the wild west with traffic and drivers. I would be more worried about that than crime. 

Cheers Dave. I'll look up those townships and follow up after I've had a chance to do some route plotting. regards Stephen

Hi Stephan, I used to live in Auckland myself, now resides in Somerset West. Somehow this forum is not very active on routes, but i looked up this mountain bike route and although I have not done this, i have checked it out and looks like a nice scenice route, safe from cars and people, but could be sandy in patches as well as super hot in summer.

I am planning a 1000 mile route from Parys to Cape Town through the Karoo and parts of the Munga race in middle November if you keen to join.

Regards

Hennie

Centurion.Beit Bridge.gpx

On 6/27/2024 at 6:49 AM, eposza said:

Hi Stephan, I used to live in Auckland myself, now resides in Somerset West. Somehow this forum is not very active on routes, but i looked up this mountain bike route and although I have not done this, i have checked it out and looks like a nice scenice route, safe from cars and people, but could be sandy in patches as well as super hot in summer.

I am planning a 1000 mile route from Parys to Cape Town through the Karoo and parts of the Munga race in middle November if you keen to join.

Regards

Hennie

Centurion.Beit Bridge.gpx 1017.55 kB · 1 download

Sounds epic Hennie. Unfortunately I'll be heading up into Kenya in October so unlikely to be still in SA when you depart. I'll stay in touch if that changed though. Cheers Stephen 

• 1 month later...

After a few days in Kruger  I've decided to head West to Botswana. Looking for any advice on useful routes or places to start from using a shuttle to clear the city. Thanks as ever.