Holdfast bicycle carrier - hatchback

Couple of things that happened with us: 

paint scuffs even with straps super tight 

blocked the rear wiper and we forgot, so broke the rear wiper motor

Gets the job done but a roof carrier or towbar carrier would be preferable. 

30 minutes ago, RobynE said:

Couple of things that happened with us: 

paint scuffs even with straps super tight 

blocked the rear wiper and we forgot, so broke the rear wiper motor

Gets the job done but a roof carrier or towbar carrier would be preferable. 

Although a boot carrier worked great for me, I eventually got a platform rack and it is just way better and easier to use.

3 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

Although a boot carrier worked great for me, I eventually got a platform rack and it is just way better and easier to use.

Ja we have a few different carriers - my personal car is a Jimny so I have the Holdfast Wheelie spare-wheel carrier mounted permanently for 1 max 2 bikes, then we have a Holdfast 2-bike hanging tow bar carrier for the other personal car if 1 or 2 bikes max, then an oldie but goodie Buzz Rack 4 platform for 3 bikes (4 at a carefully thought out push over short distance), and if we’re 4 or 5 bikes we use our company bakkie (JAC double cab which carries 5 people easily as well). 

The hatchback rack is used on my cousin’s Etios for her one bike, but it has scuffed paint and she’s just replaced the rear window motor - but no towbar, so is what it is for now! No damage to glass though. She has a plastic rear spoiler but the clips fit between the spoiler and the bootlid. Can’t remotely open the boot though - needs the key, and wouldn’t suggest opening the boot with the rack on, just like opening the Jimny with 2 bikes loaded tells you a quick boot hinge story lol.  

If you don’t care about damaging your car then go for it. You’d also need to watch your speed as any little bumps and rollers will kinda shift it and shake it etc.

If you want a proper rack that will last a lifetime, get a tow bar mounted one. It doesn’t have to be the expensive platform ones but any tow bar rack will be so much more secure than this.

5 hours ago, Albatross said:

I travelled from Cape Town to Hermanus a few times with no issues, I was initially worried and kept checking the straps but never had an issue. I think the OP is in Holland?

Yep, I'm in the NL and these devices aren't seen anywhere. Towbar mounted devices mainly. Longest journey would be about 200kms at a time 👍🏻 

3 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

If you don’t care about damaging your car then go for it. You’d also need to watch your speed as any little bumps and rollers will kinda shift it and shake it etc.

If you want a proper rack that will last a lifetime, get a tow bar mounted one. It doesn’t have to be the expensive platform ones but any tow bar rack will be so much more secure than this.

Ya, might be the overall best suited option. Will check around for that as a plan B 👍🏻

24 minutes ago, Ant in the NL said:

Ya, might be the overall best suited option. Will check around for that as a plan B 👍🏻

Okay, so you have seen the for and against posts.

Disclaimer - I am not a fan of these, due to the scuff marks on the vehicle paint.

There are MANY people using these !!!  A high percentage of the vehicles at our local trails use these types of racks.

The towbar mounted platform rack has many advantages.  BUT, this means you need a towbar.  Many of the smaller cars dont have the option for a towbar, thus not a practical option for many.  Also it means the cost of a towbar each time you get a new vehicle, especially if you dont need a towbar for any other use.

Thus Thule roof racks are well worth considering.  For the next vehicle you may need a new "foot pack", the bits between the roof bars and the cars roof.  A very small cost compared to a new towbar.

my 2cents - the hatch-rack may serve you well (just use a bit of clear plastic to protect your vehicles paint).  Long term a roof rack is a better investment.

Sorry one more note. 

Even if you have pool noodles or whatever fitted between the car and the rack supports, fine dust still gets in and has a sandpaper effect. Obvs the damage is seen more easily on metallic or dark coloured cars but whatever colour the damage does exist regardless. 

Better bet in this case is to fit some thick vinyl stickers to the car, so the rack supports rub against the stickers and not the car. Even better would be some sort of grippy sticker to reduce the rack’s ability to move. Think those sticky foam things you put under chair feet to stop them damaging floors. 

IMG_6824.png.258d3b6681aeee03b7102155f66aad67.png

3 hours ago, RobynE said:

Sorry one more note. 

Even if you have pool noodles or whatever fitted between the car and the rack supports, fine dust still gets in and has a sandpaper effect. Obvs the damage is seen more easily on metallic or dark coloured cars but whatever colour the damage does exist regardless. 

Better bet in this case is to fit some thick vinyl stickers to the car, so the rack supports rub against the stickers and not the car. Even better would be some sort of grippy sticker to reduce the rack’s ability to move. Think those sticky foam things you put under chair feet to stop them damaging floors. 

IMG_6824.png.258d3b6681aeee03b7102155f66aad67.png

Champion, thanks 👍🏻 

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Okay, so you have seen the for and against posts.

Disclaimer - I am not a fan of these, due to the scuff marks on the vehicle paint.

There are MANY people using these !!!  A high percentage of the vehicles at our local trails use these types of racks.

The towbar mounted platform rack has many advantages.  BUT, this means you need a towbar.  Many of the smaller cars dont have the option for a towbar, thus not a practical option for many.  Also it means the cost of a towbar each time you get a new vehicle, especially if you dont need a towbar for any other use.

Thus Thule roof racks are well worth considering.  For the next vehicle you may need a new "foot pack", the bits between the roof bars and the cars roof.  A very small cost compared to a new towbar.

my 2cents - the hatch-rack may serve you well (just use a bit of clear plastic to protect your vehicles paint).  Long term a roof rack is a better investment.

The towbar options is pretty neat (nearly tucked away until you use it, but around €399 😭)