Bulge in tubleless tyre

The Ouzo

My front tyre has been making a "tshh tshh tshh" noise lately. Basically a squish type noise on every rotation. Initially I thought it was a cut that I had shoe glued and that was making the noise. Closer inspection on the weekend revealed a bulge in the tyre.

But its not bulging sideways, only pushing on the tread part. Had there been a tube in the tyre I'd blame the tube, as I've seen tubes bulge in one spot often.

It also does not affect the ride, you can only hear it on the bike, but you cant feel it.

Inspecting the rim shows no sign of the same high spot on the rim, and if you follow the line on the sidewall of the tyre is does not appear to be at a higher point at that part of the tyre.

My only guess is that I hit a pothole and that "bruised" the tyre somehow causing a slightly weaker point.

Right now the only concern is the annoying sound.

Anyone else experience anything similar? 

Oh and its on a road bike. Tyre is a Pirelli Cinturato Velo

5 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

My front tyre has been making a "tshh tshh tshh" noise lately. Basically a squish type noise on every rotation. Initially I thought it was a cut that I had shoe glued and that was making the noise. Closer inspection on the weekend revealed a bulge in the tyre.

But its not bulging sideways, only pushing on the tread part. Had there been a tube in the tyre I'd blame the tube, as I've seen tubes bulge in one spot often.

It also does not affect the ride, you can only hear it on the bike, but you cant feel it.

Inspecting the rim shows no sign of the same high spot on the rim, and if you follow the line on the sidewall of the tyre is does not appear to be at a higher point at that part of the tyre.

My only guess is that I hit a pothole and that "bruised" the tyre somehow causing a slightly weaker point.

Had a Continental Race King 26''x2.2 do the exact same thing. Like you say, it is a squishing sound like liquid being forced through a pinhole. This is what was happening. The tyre delaminated on the centre-line of the tread. It first I could not see any bulging, but after spinning the tyre very slowly I managed to spot a tiny bulge. A blister basically formed between the 2 layers of rubber and sealant was being squeezed between the main cavity and the blister.

Your ammonia based tyre sealants often cause delamination in TL tyres. Naturally I cannot say that it was caused by the tyre sealant, BUT enough evidence out there suggests that the sealant might have caused the blistering.

2 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Our paths are crossing today it seems :)

I've had this exact issue with the same tyre. Fortunately, it was still at a time when Takealot had them in stock, so I simply logged a return. They asked no questions. 

For what it's worth, my issue became progressively worse, so keep an eye on things. It appeared as if the outermost layer of the tyre had split from the rest of the carcass, thus letting air in between. 

3 minutes ago, Spinnaroonie said:

Our paths are crossing today it seems :)

I've had this exact issue with the same tyre. Fortunately, it was still at a time when Takealot had them in stock, so I simply logged a return. They asked no questions. 

For what it's worth, my issue became progressively worse, so keep an eye on things. It appeared as if the outermost layer of the tyre had split from the rest of the carcass, thus letting air in between. 

Never had it with the last couple of sets. Same tyre. 
only 7900km on these, will keep a close eye on them. 

30 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Jeepers. What is end of life km?

It is that only that got me - like only 500km on them in a mortal's case😇 

43 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Jeepers. What is end of life km?

previous sets got in excess of 10 000km, last set was 12 000, if I recall the set before that was around 11 000

16 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

previous sets got in excess of 10 000km, last set was 12 000, if I recall the set before that was around 11 000

forgot to mention, the previous set was changed because of a cut that would not seal. I gave them to a guy at work that commutes around 60km a day (round trip), he put them on his bike around January or February , with a set of tubes and is over the moon with these tyres.

If it was a MTB tyre I'd run it to death on the rear wheel. But given that it's a road tyre I'd bin it, given the speeds and the tiny air volumes. 

If you do feel the urge to ride it to death, make sure it's on the back.