Merida big nine 200 vs silverback stride deluxe

Ab€

I am looking to buy an entry level hardtail to ride for fun. Nothing extreme. 

Problem is the rider weight limit. I weight 145kg on a good day. 

What frame would be best to handle my weight between merida and silverback.

Thanks in advance

3 hours ago, Ab€ said:

I am looking to buy an entry level hardtail to ride for fun. Nothing extreme. 

Problem is the rider weight limit. I weight 145kg on a good day. 

What frame would be best to handle my weight between merida and silverback.

Thanks in advance

The Silverback Stride has a max rating of 120KG with the bike. I would not go with Silverback. On these stride bikes the rims and hubs are problematic. I haven't heard a lot had good things from the service of Silverback in the last 2/3 years.

Merida has a max rider weight of 135KG. Not sure if that includes the bike or not. 

So between the two you mentioned I would choose the merida. Their service is good and the build quality is decent for the price.

I would have to do some research on what other bikes has a weight rating in your range.

Edited by Ruben Hechter

I’m going to be a bit left field and suggest that you have a look at GT bikes. 

The user manual says they can take up to 161kg total - this is bike, luggage and rider - as per attached screenshot. 

What will help you is: 

- Bike fit to ensure your suspension is set up properly 

- Tubeless setup on good quality tyres (these will not be the tyres you get with the bike - you will need to upgrade) 

- A decent 1x12 drivetrain like Shimano M6100 as a base (or full Deore XT) - if the bike comes with 1x11 it’s ok but 1x12 is better for hills 

- Proper saddle that you find comfortable

- Proper bib shorts with padding that works for you 

Lots of places sell GT, so you can go and have a look. Their frames are really seriously tough. 

Once you have your bike start off on level surfaces, short rides (even if boring) and work on your fitness from there. Don’t overcook it too soon. Soon you’ll find that a hill you used to take in 1st gear you’re now taking in 3rd. It’s a cool realisation. 

Happy bike hunting! 

IMG_7157.png.54fa2ca9165217434ac3ecae5bed09d8.png

Feedback from the team:

Head of Design:
 There is no real weight limit we have set on the Rogue. The reality is that if they are wanting to ride for fun and nothing extreme, a Rogue would work fine IMO.

The Big Boss:
Agreed.....its normally the wheels that are the problem, but Rogue frame should have no problem. Even the suspension will struggle unless he buys a better model within the range. Those entry-level coil forks are also not made for 145kg riders.

I hope this helps. 

In my experience, you'll be fine depending on the type of riding. "Ride for fun" can mean just about anything, so it is difficult to say for sure. What you will definitely need to look out for is the wheels that come on the bike. This is heavily budget dependant, but as mentioned in an earlier post, a Cerberus will get you there and back with a smile on its face.