Rubbish in our midst (De Grendal)

stratus5

Hi

On Sunday whilst doing the race my car was broken into, along with a few others. My wife lost her Cellphone, credit card, R550 cash and drivers license.

The venue was quite secure and marshalls directing the race etc were close by. Anybody looking a bit dodgy or out of place would have been noticed.

The only culprit is likely to have been somebody who could blend in, hopefully not family of one of the cyclists taking part etc.

The fun thing is my wife and I work for Vodacom, so I know where that phone is, or if its been used with a new SIM. I know who it phoned for example even with a new SIM. Guess the culprit is going to find out just how loyal his friends are. Bummer if it on another network though.

Whilst writing this my wife phoned...

Her phone was used at 9:45 (Race started at 8:45) to query the cellphone balance.

My Wife stopped her card at 10:05 (did 10km route).

At 10:40 a white woman tried to buy R7000 worth of liquor at Midmar Liquors in Strand Street. She fled the shop in a black City Golf when the card came up as stolen. Guess we have video footage of her. Will try and get a screenshot and post an image here in case anybody saw her.

Just an aside, if any of you are ever in trouble, leave the cellphone on and make a call, SMS etc to any number as often as you can. We can at least track each mast you were connected to etc.

Hopefully nobody else had much stolen, but there is a chance that we can nail this filth.

Nail the beeeaaatch! Stealing from our cars at races is just not on!

Some inbred idiot tried to break into my can at the Walkerville. They broke the lock as well as the door handle, so they couldn't get in. It's costing my insurance R2500 to fix.

Wow, that's shocking!  Shocked I hope that you're able to get your hands on the person that did this, stratus5.

At races I always lock anything of value in my boot. Luckily it can't be opened from the inside of the car. Heard a while back of people breaking into cars, but only stealing credit cards, and leaving the wallets. Then when the unfortunate owner realises that his card is missing, it's already been maxed out. This happened in the Grabouw area.

At races I always lock anything of value in my boot. Luckily it can't be opened from the inside of the car. Heard a while back of people breaking into cars' date=' but only stealing credit cards, and leaving the wallets. Then when the unfortunate owner realises that his card is missing, it's already been maxed out. This happened in the Grabouw area.[/quote']

Well, if they stole my CC the joke would be on them LOL

More likely the joke would be on the supplier/merchant.  If they don't check the signature you simply charge back teh amount charged to your card.  The bank sends the charge back list to the merchant who then has to prove the signature was checked by submitting a voucher showing the signature that matches the card.

So had your friendly lady thief bought the booze, the liquor store would have been R7k out of pocket.

So the next time the bank tells you that smart chips on the card are for your benefit, tell them you don't want it.  All the smart chip does is create a safety net for the merchant and the bank where they can disclaim liability because you were careless with your pin.

Oy' <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Went to spectate - parked just behind the loo's- check with the med guys - there were a few of them in that vicinity.  

sh*t news for all though !!

Nail em !!

More likely the joke would be on the supplier/merchant.  If they don't check the signature you simply charge back teh amount charged to your card.  The bank sends the charge back list to the merchant who then has to prove the signature was checked by submitting a voucher showing the signature that matches the card.

That's great, except that my signature on the card does not match the signature on the slip, and it never will. Have you tried signing in the small little space? Bloody hell people! No one can do a signature in that little strip!

can ordinary people like me ever get to use this Vodacom tracking/phone usage info?

i have my IMEI number written down, but not much faith in network/police if i ever had to enforce them to turn my stolen phone into a paperweight

Problem is that because of privacy laws and abuse thereof, only in very special cases can anybody request the tracking of calls.

Its easy to see who your spouse is phoning, where he or she was on that business weekend away etc, but just one unofficial peek by somebody like me and you get your arse fired if you work for Vodacom.

Technically I cant look at my own phone either, but think I might get away with it in this case...unless somebody complains of course.

The police can request the data on your behalf, but you could wait years.

This is what we have so far: maybe you saw them?

The Thieves;

White Female Blonde hair, blue eyes 5ft7<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Very well dressed. Early 30?s Drove a White Opel Corsa Bakkie

Man in a black golf.

Both continuously on cell-phones

Cashier called ADT but they did not come in 15 minutes and they scarpered.

Claimed they needed stock for a restaurant, bought cases of Jagermeister, whiskey.

Did not get licence plates. Think there may be CCTV cameras that cover the street there though. Anybody know how to go about requesting CCTV footage from Cape Town CBD?

Think these are the same people who hit the cars at Grabouw (TruCape). Everything was packed back neatly. just the Credit Card and cash was gone as well as the cellphone.

If they had been less greedy and left the cell phone and cash, we would never have known the CC was gone, so they are probably not as smart as they would like to think.

They rushed to the bottle store in Cape Town on Sunday morning. Cant be many open on a Sunday? Wonder why they choose booze and expensive stuff at that?

The blonde was also very good looking. The owner of the store remarked that she had fantastic legs. No cmaera in store and security comapny (ADT) took 15 minutes to respond to their panic button!

They rushed to the bottle store in Cape Town on Sunday morning. Cant be many open on a Sunday? Wonder why they choose booze and expensive stuff at that?

The blonde was also very good looking. The owner of the store remarked that she had fantastic legs. No cmaera in store and security comapny (ADT) took 15 minutes to respond to their panic button!

this seems like a job for SHEBEEN, P.I.

so I'm looking for a hot thirty something blonde with sexy legs. Good thing i was undercover at Caprice sunday night. I have some leads already, but my expense account is mounting.

It is scary that they break into lots of cars at the races, even thought PPA warned us.  I wonder why do people carry lots of money or credit card to the races.  I just bring R100 and drivers card with me and leave the wallet at home. I carry them and my cellphone while I race.