Rubbish in our midst (De Grendal)

stratus5

They rushed to the bottle store in Cape Town on Sunday morning. Cant be many open on a Sunday? Wonder why they choose booze and expensive stuff at that?

The blonde was also very good looking. The owner of the store remarked that she had fantastic legs. No cmaera in store and security comapny (ADT) took 15 minutes to respond to their panic button!

why did they hit the panic button?

Sad what this country is coming too, my gardener came to work on Saturday, parked his bike behind a 6 foot brick wall in the front, worked in the back most of the day, and when it came home time, no bike.

probably because the card came up stolen.

in an ideal world, visa/mastercard would alert the cops as soon as a blacklisted transaction was requested. but we don't libe in one of those

The informal business people use stolen CC's to buy cigarettes, booze, airtime vouchers, shopping vouchers and perfumes as this can readily be converted back to cash. So any of you merchants out there, inform your staff to be on the lookout for this purchase pattern.

I'm waiting for biometrics to secure payments other than cash. Can still be hacked, but as yet with extreme difficulty.

This is only a practise run for the flood of dumb suckers about to hit our cities in 2010. Shark feeding frenzy! 

in an ideal world' date=' visa/mastercard would alert the cops as soon as a blacklisted transaction was requested. but we don't libe in one of those
[/quote']

In an ideal world you wouldn't have a panic button....

...or theft, or cops

....or booze stores, or credit cards.

Better get on with what we've got then.

More likely the joke would be on the supplier/merchant.  If they don't check the signature you simply charge back teh amount charged to your card.  The bank sends the charge back list to the merchant who then has to prove the signature was checked by submitting a voucher showing the signature that matches the card.

So had your friendly lady thief bought the booze' date=' the liquor store would have been R7k out of pocket.

So the next time the bank tells you that smart chips on the card are for your benefit, tell them you don't want it.  All the smart chip does is create a safety net for the merchant and the bank where they can disclaim liability because you were careless with your pin.
[/quote'] Quite right in most of your summations except that in many instances there is no card verification if sale is under the floor limit. The reason for the is that the cost outweighs the benefit derived from preventing the loss. As such the Bank tolerates the loss. In most cases the merchant does not carry the loss but rather the originatng bank.

In terms of the smartcard option I can't see why a bank should suffer a loss because a client compromses his/her pin/passwords etc. That is no fault of the bank but of the individual.

You will believe the amount we write off in losses from credit cards on a weekly basis!!!
Delgado2008-08-12 11:04:16

rubbish on the street should be compostedAngry......together with all the manure and nasty things that makes ones garden look nice.