Capestorm AK47 baggies

AndreZA

Two weekends ago I got me a pair of baggies because it looked like the right thing to do seeing that I spend more time on the MTB then on the road bike. And yes, I'm still a proud roadie.

I used these shorts for the first time the past weekend on a 60km spruit ride and I was pleasantly surprised on how comfy they were. I'm already a big fan fo the CS Matrix bibs so the shammy did not surprise me althoug this looks like a new type.

The shorts ens just above the knees and look just like any other decent pair of shorts. The liner comes attached to it but on the little tag it says that you need to seperate it before use. I did not and don't know if I will. But if you do you can use the liner in any other shorts that you want or just use the shorts on it's own.

The shorts does not have a lot of pockets so there it will not be liked by many others. Only two pockets that closes with zips. There is also vent slots on the legs that can be opened with zips. It fastens with a velcro band and has a zip aswell. You can also tighten it with some nylon straps and velcro straps on the waist.

They are a bit expensive but is it a good product like all Capestorm stuff.

This is the description from their website

DESCRIPTION:

Lycra? C'mon you're a Mountain Biker and not prone to slipping into anything that makes you look like a ballerina.

SPECIFICATIONS:

You need something loose-fitting, tough, durable and trustworthy no matter what the conditions. Fire off in a pair of AK47's and earn some credibility down the singletrack.

FEATURES:

Outer: Refuge Ripstop nylon with stretch panels.

Liner: Wick-dry.

Fit: Loose-fitting MTB short.

Features: Removable, breathable, padded inner liner. Two main pockets. Zippered ventilation vents. Web adjusters on the waist.

http://www.capestorm.co.za/uploads/47ynSVuR.gif

the way ahead for mountain biking. Only time Lycra is needed is for racing.

Will keep any eye out for these as my UK purchased Endura baggies are starting to take strain

PPWTF2008-08-11 05:00:23

Mampara, I thought you had taste. Are you taking up surfing. And if so, why do you need a shammy in your baggies, when a sock will do? LOL

Will keep any eye out for these as my UK purchased Endura baggies are starting to take strain

Okay, I'm highjacking my own review. PPWTF, Endura is in the country now and is available from all shop stocking Specialized. I phoned the agency two week ago and they said all shops should have stock by the end of the month.

Awesome news! Endura stuff rocks; the product of choice and tested to destruction by London cycle couriers, now in South Africa. Will be on the look out for it for sure. Thanks for the heads up Mampara

I have a pair of these shorts - really cool. the small pockets on the legs are perfect for one Gu in each. btw, I have separated the liner from the shorts purely so that I can put on clean pants after the ride without flashing the world...

How much were they Mampara?

Just over half a gorilla. They do have women specific ones aswell called Kryptonite. They look the same.

• 1 month later...

Yep, baggies are the way to go.  You know you are gonna crash sometime on your MTB no matter what level you ride. I would rather not have to ride home with my butt hanging out of expensive torn lycra.

I have a pair of these AK47. I took out the inner because, although light and comfortable, it's quite thin and only good for shorter rides < 2 hours. I wear my favourite bibs underneath and Bob's your president. The fit is great - actually quite a snug fit with a durable fabric which eliminates any annoying flapping at speed. This also makes the Kryptonite a great fit for the ladies. Personally seen a few girls in my club wearing them and it's almost as good as watching lycra clad butts... You should see how bad most other ladies baggies look (ask Mikes Bikes...)

The only drawback to this is that it can get a tad warmer down there if you are only used to wearing airy lycra. The zip hip pockets are tight but that's exactly what you want so that your cellphone or house keys don't bounce around.

Other baggies currently on test:

Hoss with camo design (the inner is sewn in completely - which I don't like so it's being modified)

Pearl Izumi (no inners) - great for summer but not enough pockets.

So guys, hard core on the road = lycra but hardcore on the trails are proper baggies. "Times they are a changing..."

Can you buy just the baggies with no inners?

The CS shorts come with the inners lightly "attached". The baggies themselves have 2 small loops on the inside near hip area. The inners also have loops on the hips which link with the ones on the baggies. So they are fairly loose if you want to leave the inners attached to the baggies.

They advise you to cut this attachment which I have done. Otherwise you can't use other lycra shorts underneath. For short rides I use the CS inner as it is good quality.

If anyone wants to check them out they have a shop in Bryanston.

CAPESTORM BRYANSTON

Cnr William Nicol & Grosvenor

Tel:011 463-4909

I don't work for them but I have used them for big orders supplying corporates. Quality and back up is top notch.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried Hoss baggies? Keen to give them ago.

Used to buy decent hard baggies at Sidewalk surfer and wear it over my bibs, something more mtb specific might be nicer ;)

Anyone tried Hoss baggies? Keen to give them ago.

Used to buy decent hard baggies at Sidewalk surfer and wear it over my bibs' date=' something more mtb specific might be nicer ;)

[/quote']I have a pair of camo Hoss shorts. I had to remove the inner because it is completely sewn into the waist and legs - and it was way too tight around my thighs.

They are a looser fit than the Capestorms and cooler because the fabric isn't as thick. I prefer the CS zipped pockets though. They are my favourite MTB shorts after the Pearl Izumi and Capestorm and they look cool.