Sign-Up & Gauteng DOT

shaunh

I have just concluded a meeting with Gauteng DOT. As you all know I received permission and help from them last year with sign posting  the Lido Route & Cradle of Mankind route. Since then there was a mojor reshuffle at the DOT and I was subsequently pushed aside. The 8 signs sponsored by hubbers in June last year have not been erected.

After almost a year of threats, e-mails, phone calls, I had my first meeting last week and my second today with them and can confirm that all Cycling Safety issues will be handled by Sign-Up together with the Gauteng DOT. A commitee has been formed and a contact assigned to handle all my safe route applications & safety issues.

Thank you to all the hubbers for your patience and the Gauteng DOT to their continued efforts to create safety for Cyclists.ClapClapClap

Can all clubs in Gauteng please contact me with Safe route proposals in order for me to forward them to the DOT for surveying & approval. This has to be done by Monday next week!!

I also need two volunteers to serve on a committee with me.

Forgot to mention that the DOT has assured me that the 8 signs will be erected by no later than next week Friday 23 August.

whoooohooooo! well done shaun! your relentless focus and hard work to make our roads safer for all of us is phenomenal and i (for one) appreciate it more than you can ever believe.

Well done Shaun,Please get CGC to see if their safety officer would be interested in working with you as I believe this could help strengthen your resolve with the Sport and recreation department as well

Mallo, I have had quite a few meetings with Shona Bell and have not received any feed back.

I will however continue to contact them and see how we can work together. Have made contact with CSA but no luck as yet.

Nice work Shaun. Thanks for the feedback.

Please let me know what it costs for a sign.

Also how would one go about having the Cradle route signage extended to Sterkfontein caves on the one side and Broadacres center on the other?

Mark, a sign costs R590.00 incl. This is what I paid in Feb. I would suspect that, like everything else, it has increased.

I was told that the whole area around the cradle is due for upgrade and they will extend the cycle lanes. Exact distance and where to I don't know as yet!

Hey, I'm a media contact.

I'm on the transport side and could do something to create awareness in the trucking industry. Especially with the 94.7 coming up!

I once did a story about the Cape Epic ..... we did talk before, but I changed all my details.

PM me