Northcliff hill Training

smileys/smiley4.gif

Sounds good ........ lemme know when you plan on a hill session I'd like to join in..i.e the monthly one. As U can see I have not been riding much with you guys since my return from injury so in all this time I've been doing lsd's ... & some intervals with hills aplenty...So I think I'm hoping I'll be ready for some of those hills speak of.

"DTsmileys/smiley4.gif"

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This all reminds me of my favourite training ride from when I lived in JHB, specifically chosen to be as hilly as possible.

Here it is (with thanks to multimap for refreshing my memory of streets I haven't seen for 18 months!), starting near Emmerantia Dam, and finishing in Melville for Coffee: (it'll only make sense following it with a street atlas I guess):

Emmerantia-Oliphant-Louw Geldenhuys-Hill-Sabie-Rustenburg-9th (Melville)-4th, go over Main (steeply up 4th here)-Motor-Warwick-Avalanche-Ayr-Banbury-4th (Westdene)-Thornton-Edward-Coronation-Meyer-Twist-5th-Gordon-Hendrick Potgeiter-William Nicol, through Hyperama carpark onto Golf Club Terrace-Ontdekkers-Christian de Wet-Hendrick Potgeiter-Doreen-CR Swart-Wilgerood-Christian de Wet-Jim Fouche-Hendrick Potgeiter-14th-Weltevreden-Ebony-Anderson-Frederick-Hearn-Louie -Joseph-Ethel-Norman-Rockcliffe-5th-9th-West-5th-Twist-Meyer -Coronation-Edward-Thornton-4th-Banbury-Ayr-Melville-Coffee!!

Give it a try!

jokull, are you nuts?!?!?!?!?!? Doreen, Golf Club and Wilgerood, all in the same ride???????? OUCH!!!!!! my legs are burning just thinking of it.

geen manier in hel wat ek al drie daardie in een dag doen. Slowpoke, ry julle regtig elke donderdag golf club?

smileys/smiley4.gif

Slowpoke sounds like some keen people around here wanting to do some serious hill training...........come on get a groupie together & let's go climbing.

"DTsmileys/smiley11.gif"

yep amoryns, dit gaan ons gewone donderdag route wees. ons het dit laas donderdag dedoen en aangesien ons vanoggend ons northumberland route gedoen het gaan ons dit beslis weer hierdie donderdag doen. michelleH en ek het besluit die eenigste manier om beter te klim is om meer te klim en om hill-repeats te oefen.

kc, i thought we agreed that compared to golf club northcliff is easy... but then again, including it with those others would most likey turn it into living and pedalling hell!

As a matter of interest, I was sooo in the mood for doing hills after Pokey and I parted company on Saturday (no really, honest), that I tackled a tricky little loop around Westcliff, here is the map, it's 5.5 kms long, and is done in a clockwise direction.

The little stretch up Tyson (circled in rd on the left of the pic) is about 350m at around 15%, and the little stretch between Parlinghurst and Woodview (circled in red on the right) is about 250m at the same gradient. This second climb, however is an alleyway, and is only really comfortable on an MTB - doable on a road bike as well, but you have to pick your line carefully to stay on the tar section , otherwise you start riding in dirt ruts.

Awesome little loop, and does wonders for trying to build up strength. The section parrellel to Jan Smuts (past the Hotel), is a sharpish climb on it's own, before you get to the little aleyway, and the section which runs Parrallel to Crscent and Westcliff (at the top of the loop) is on an incline, puntuated by speed-bumps, which keep breaking any kind of rythym you may be trying to get into.

I can't take credit for finding the loop, though - Nic White did a write up in a past Ride Mag issue which detailed the route - he called it the "Mini Tour Of Flanders" for it's sharp little climbs, speedbump negotiation, and  bit of pavement work occassionaly.

uploads/kingcompass/images/2006-04-18_155932_Westcliff_Loop.GIF

I finished my ride with a trip up Munro Drive - Houghton, and finally Sylvia's (the cobbled section).

kc' date=' i thought we agreed that compared to golf club northcliff is easy... but then again, including it with those others would most likey turn it into living and pedalling hell!

[/quote']

True, True - considering that Golf Club is the only climb (on the road) that I have ever been forced to stop on - I'll re-iterate the sentiment ;-)

This all reminds me of my favourite training ride from when I lived in JHB' date=' specifically chosen to be as hilly as possible.

Here it is (with thanks to multimap for refreshing my memory of streets I haven't seen for 18 months!), starting near Emmerantia Dam, and finishing in Melville for Coffee: (it'll only make sense following it with a street atlas I guess):

Emmerantia-Oliphant-Louw Geldenhuys-Hill-Sabie-Rustenburg-9th (Melville)-4th, go over Main (steeply up 4th here)-Motor-Warwick-Avalanche-Ayr-Banbury-4th (Westdene)-Thornton-Edward-Coronation-Meyer-Twist-5th-Gordon-Hendrick Potgeiter-William Nicol, through Hyperama carpark onto Golf Club Terrace-Ontdekkers-Christian de Wet-Hendrick Potgeiter-Doreen-CR Swart-Wilgerood-Christian de Wet-Jim Fouche-Hendrick Potgeiter-14th-Weltevreden-Ebony-Anderson-Frederick-Hearn-Louie -Joseph-Ethel-Norman-Rockcliffe-5th-9th-West-5th-Twist-Meyer -Coronation-Edward-Thornton-4th-Banbury-Ayr-Melville-Coffee!!

Give it a try!

[/quote']

Hey Jokull, I see you mention Hill, then a left turn onto Sabie, and aong Rustenburg towards Mellville - have you (or anybody ele, for that matter), carried on along Hill (it looks like a wall in front of you when you turn left into Sabie.

I decided to check t out on Saturday ... maaaan, what a nasty little climb - way over the 10% mark, and a dead-end to boot - good fun though - caught me in too high a gear and had me snaking all over the road so as not too fall over ;-)

smileys/smiley4.gif

Slowpoke sounds like some keen people around here wanting to do some serious hill training...........come on get a groupie together & let's go climbing.

"DTsmileys/smiley11.gif"

I wish I was still in JHB - I used to love those roads for training on - I was doing the hilly special I described above (or variations on it) once every month or so before the 2004 94.7 - the fittest I've ever been!

I'll definately join (whenever my shift work allows me that is), see you there !!!

smileys/smiley32.gif smileys/smiley32.gif

Slowpoke, you did say it is at 05H00?

tazman38826.3114467593

taz, thursday morning 5am at the engen at randridge mall - we ride up john vorster (ysterhout) to JG Strydom and then head straight onwards and upwards to golf club. once we are going up golf club we each go as far and fast as we feel we are capable of, then turn around and repeat until time runs out (i need to be home by 6:15 in order to leave for work in time to get there by 8:00)

the hillsnax - doreen - golf club route will be on a saturday at 6:30 .... just need to decide when to tackle it...