Should I repalce the chain?

cycleaddict

Hi all,

How should I put this, the chain on my bike looks to be worn out but I am not too sure if it is worn.

I,ve measured the chain and it has not streched but the small round bits on each link that go between the teeth of the gears are moving around alot.

Is this normal or should I think of replacing the chain?

Depends on the type of chain.

I know on my Dura-Ace chain, those little bits move around and its a brand new chain, so...

If you do not miss shifts or it does not affect shifting then it's fine. HG53 chains are tough. They are made out of recycled tank steel.

If you do not miss shifts or it does not affect shifting then it's fine. HG53 chains are tough. They are made out of recycled tank steel.

Oh yeah, Campag/SRAM (wherever your allegiance lies) ones are made from recycled depleted uranium shells. Wink

Oh yeah' date=' Campag/SRAM (wherever your allegiance lies) ones are made from recycled depleted uranium shells. Wink

[/quote']

I wonder where they mined that uranium. Proberbly Uranus?

LOL thanks you guys!

It's not that I,m having trouble with shifting its this Irritating noise while riding that drives me insane!

Replaced the rear derailer pulleys a week ago with the "fancy" one's having bearings coz the other pulleys were worn badly after 7mths!

Ive checked everything and the sound/noise is the same with either set of rims, Reynolds or Alexrims.

LOL thanks you guys!

It's not that I' date='m having trouble with shifting its this Irritating noise while riding that drives me insane!

Replaced the rear derailer pulleys a week ago with the "fancy" one's having bearings coz the other pulleys were worn badly after 7mths!

Ive checked everything and the sound/noise is the same with either set of rims, Reynolds or Alexrims.
[/quote']

I also have that chain and it moves as well.  If you get too many noises though, try putting some lube on it!Wink

Chains are cheap though, your drivetrain not, so if in doubt just get a new one and then swop it with your old one every now and then.  That way you get more life out of your chain and cluster plus you get time to thoroughly clean the chain AND still ride your bike when you are lazy!

I think the CN-HG53 chain is a 9 speed chain - Sora is 8 speed. That might be part of the problem.

Is the sound continous?

Hi all' date='

How should I put this, the chain on my bike looks to be worn out but I am not too sure if it is worn.

I,ve measured the chain and it has not streched but the small round bits on each link that go between the teeth of the gears are moving around alot.

Is this normal or should I think of replacing the chain?

[/quote']

It's a shame that you've had to endure the type of useless banter so early on in your Hub career. You didn't seem to get a satisfactory answser from my cursory scan through the chaff.

PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you an essay I wrote on all the possible chain issues I could think of.

But in a nutshell, a chain is worn (definintion of worn is when it starts damaging the sprockets) when it has elongated by 1%. There is no way that you or any wisecrack can spot a 1% elongation by eye. Measure it.

Secondly, a worn chain does NOT affect shifting and again is not a good gauge of its wear.

Just checked: both 8 and 9 speed shimano use 1.8 thk sprockets, so 8 speed cluster with 9 speed chain shouldn't be a problem. I does concern me that your derailleur wheels needed to be replace so soon. Have you had a crash that your derailleur or hanger are bent?