Cycling from PTA to Mosselbay - Opinions Wanted

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phen,

just sent you your email..

Forget about riding hard the first couple of days.. Ride hard after your first 5 day stint.. And yes take spare kit! Keep the backpacks as light as possible!

Safe roads for cycling is still an isue. Just getting out of Gauteng on a bike would be diffecult..

spare kit?less is more, but depends how rough you want to look, spare shorts probably a good idea.

but i've done 2 weeks straight with one pair and a hawaaiin shirt before.

Phen

Doing it in October 2008. We depart from Krugersdorp via Bloem' date=' Colesburg, Graaf Reinet, etc Mosselbaai to Cape town. Did same route last year as well. It is a fantastic experience. For safety you have to be more than 2 or three people and I would suggest a back up vehicle for kit , etc.
[/quote']

relevant hijack:

HS, just out of interest, why the same route- surely there's other things to see?!

Getting out of Gauteng is not that difficult.. We went the Witbank, Secunda, Vrede route. A bit of a "long way round" I know but it was sort of on our route seeing we aimed for Bethlehem.

loneranger, drop me a PM with your mail and I'll get you from Jhb to Heilbron/Parys

Young Phen !!

Inspiration !! Clap

Wanted to do the Cape Epic to be able to say I rode from Kynsna to CT. Then they changed the route the silly buggers.

But, along comes this thread - maybe I should just do it on my own... not a bad thought at all ....... Lamp

Phen please send me those!! pretty please!!

Will see what I can do. Last time I rode them was in 2005 as a junior, but I'll chat to the guys I rode with to get the specifics (can't remember the exact route). I think it was via Midrand and Carnival City all the way to Three Rivers in Vereeniging, and definitely not that dangerous.