Dodgy cadence sensor

evanr4

I have a Polar CS200CAD computer which was working flawlessly until yesterday. At the start of yesterdays ride the computer was not logging cadence, I checked the magnet, distance between sensor and magnet, etc. Nothing I did got the sensor working again.

I know the cadence sensor only has a certain life before the battery dies but the computer is only a year old. Before I splash out on a new sensor, how can I be certain it is the battery and not a problem with the computer itself?

Thanks

I am experiencing the same problem with the same unit....was planning on taking it to my lbs to check it out.

Call Polar (Intelligent Health & Fitness Products) 011 805 1028 and get it checked out. They are in Midrand. The guys are very help full and wont charge you a arm or a leg.

Most of the advice is not what you want to hear. "bring it in and we'll check it out." is the same as "take some time out of your day, get in your car, go to Midrand via the world's worst offramp and have Polar check out a R5 battery."

Polar sensors are notoriously finnicky. They work, then stop working and then work again. I don't know what causes it but they're sensitive to sun spots or something.

Check the battery yourself. Cutting two cable ties and undoing two screws is much easier than going to Midrand. Polar's service is great but jeez, who wants to drive out there?

Cut the cable ties that hold the sensor.  Pull out your small Philips screwdriver - the one you use to tighten your cheap sunglass hinges. Stick the screwdriver up the sensor's backside ( the side that fits against the frame). There are two screws in there. Remove and pull the two halves apart. Don't damage the little rubber seal. Replace the battery (CR2032) and reverse the operation. If that still doesn't work, check on the sensor's guts for a jumper switch. Put it in the other position - this gives it more range but less battery life.

Don't ask why it now suddenly needs more range, it just does.

Thanks Johan, from what info I gleaned off the web, the battery in the CS range of sensors is not replaceable. Will this work for a CS sensor?

Thanks Johan' date=' from what info I gleaned off the web, the battery in the CS range of sensors is not replaceable. Will this work for a CS sensor?[/quote']

Dunno about the CS range. You sound hesitant to open it in anyway.

Remember, if it aint broke fix it.

OK, try this. Remove the sensor and your magnetic company name badge. Hold the sensor close to the pick-up unit and pulsate your company name badge magnet next to the sensor to simulate pedaling. Is it picking up? Yes? Then gradually move furhter and further away and see if it is a range problem. A range problem is typically a battery. An intermittent problem could be a broken ferrite core in the sensor's coil. These cores are brittle and a good whack can break it.

If the battery is not replaceable, I hope the unit has a very long gaurantee. If it is out of gaurantee, what's the harm in opening it and see if you can replace the battery yourself.

My Remington shaver is supposedly a disposable unit. Last week I replaced it's battery for probably the tenth time since 1997. If they can get a battery in there, so can you.

Ok will do as you suggest this evening. I suspect this will end with a trip to Midrand with bits and pieces of sensor in a plastic bag.

I will have to explain to Polar that it wasnt my fault, I was just following JB's recomendation.

Just kidding, if it is FUBAR'd I will just get another one from the LBS

Thanks Johan' date=' from what info I gleaned off the web, the battery in the CS range of sensors is not replaceable. Will this work for a CS sensor?[/quote']

Dunno about the CS range. You sound hesitant to open it in anyway.

Remember, if it aint broke fix it.

OK, try this. Remove the sensor and your magnetic company name badge. Hold the sensor close to the pick-up unit and pulsate your company name badge magnet next to the sensor to simulate pedaling. Is it picking up? Yes? Then gradually move furhter and further away and see if it is a range problem. A range problem is typically a battery. An intermittent problem could be a broken ferrite core in the sensor's coil. These cores are brittle and a good whack can break it.

If the battery is not replaceable, I hope the unit has a very long gaurantee. If it is out of gaurantee, what's the harm in opening it and see if you can replace the battery yourself.

My Remington shaver is supposedly a disposable unit. Last week I replaced it's battery for probably the tenth time since 1997. If they can get a battery in there, so can you.

Hijack on:-

JB you should be going to the post office to fetch Lil' Bens top cap not passing time here on the hub WinkLOL

Hijack off

The nice thing about the polar is that it is easy to fix it yourself by just replacing the battery.

My speed sensor on my mtb stopped working a day ago. Im in CT so there is no way im driving to midrand:)  It has been taking a pounding for excactly a year and 8 months now with mud, water, soap, prepsol being used on it over and over again.

Open it up and see that some moisture has entered the unit. the battery is kept in place by a little metal 3 pronged clamp. this little clamp got a little rusty or clogged  because of the dampness and was not making good contact.

Cleaned it off, put it back together and voila it works again. 2 minute job.

No mess no fuss.  

try and do that with a garmin.

Captain sir them garmin's they need no speed sensors man' date=' they use that fings in the sky![/quote']

beg to differ there bigben sir, those garmins fings in da sky does not work so lekker in the bushes, under the trees and on mountain cliffs, then you need dem speed sensors on da back wheel otherwise your time and distance is all screwed up. and that cadence and speed sensor of garmin is a piece of crap.

Ok so the solution was not what I expected.

Firstly, you cannot open the CS series of sensors, if the battery dies, you need to replace the unit.

Went to the Polar agents yesterday and they tested my sensor, it worked fine. Now I was confused. The gave me a new magnet and said I should try that, that sometimes the magnet can weaken. I wasn't sure that was even possible.

Anyway, went home refitted the sensor and new magnet, and hey presto, all working again.

Old magnet does not work. One suggestion from Polar was to use insulation tape rather than the polar provided tape, because it is too thick.