training on a mountain bike vs racing bike

isysx1

Hi everyone, I want to move from mountain biking to road racing, however I don't have a racing bike, do you think it is ok to train on a mountain (at least initially) or do you think there is a big difference between the two?

You need to speak with Marius on the forum. He's on duty during the week. Do whatever he did, and you'll be fine. Just don't start thinking like he does. Having just one of him around is enough!

isysx1 there is a huge diff between a MTB and a Road bike.  I preped for the 94.7 on a MTB.  Remember that a MTB has a gear range for mountains and hilly places.  You want a easy ratio to climb and that sort of things.

On my road bike I have a 11 - 22 gear at the back with a 52-42 infront.  My MTB runs at a 3x-2x-1x ratio front and a 11 - 32 at the back.

The MTB got me used to spinning in low gears with the roadbike I have to grind a bit to get out of Hans Strijdom in Pretoria (only a 5.5% incline).

An MTB will help with the bike skills.  I raced with my MTB in a few road races, but you will get dropped by the thin wheel brats.

MTB is a lot of fun, where road racing is dull an boring (to me that is)  In MTB it is a challenge to stay on the bike (not that the 94.7 didn't have its challenges in that).

I will rather ride a MTB for my back as well.  The position is much better than on a road bike.

If you need any other help PM me and we can talk.

Regards

Cois

Presies Amoryns. Die fiets is swaarder en jy word sterker.

Nogtans, vind ek dit snaaks dat Shane van 'n mtb na 'n "road bike" wil gaan. Meestal is dit die omkeer.

thanks for the advice, in any event i will carry on training on my mtb and get a road bike when i can afford it 

ja nee dis baie weird...dis min dat jy sien dat iemand van die "goeie" kant kom om die dom roadies te join.....

Moved from XC racing to Road as well. And IMO, I am waaayy fitter now, than what I ever was on my mtb, reasons for that is, I think the bigger gears on a road bike makes you stronger and you do ALOT more distance on a roadbike than a mtb, well at least I do. That said, the two makes great cross training for each other. Go have a look at the top XC racers they all do alot of distance training on roadbikes.

That said' date=' the two makes great cross training for each other. Go have a look at the top XC racers they all do alot of distance training on roadbikes.

[/quote']

But on the other side... the top road riders may sometimes look at a MTB, but they don't do a lot of time on one. Ever.

ek het nou weer gevind dat die mtb my stadig gemaak het, wel sterker maar ek kan nie meer op die pad die jo-jo pace doen nie. nog iemand wat dit ondervind? smiley5.gif

That said' date=' the two makes great cross training for each other. Go have a look at the top XC racers they all do alot of distance training on roadbikes.

[/quote']

Floyd Landis was Mtb world champ, i think. and that other valverde dude also comes from a mtb background. sure theres a few more.

[/quote']

Floyd Landis was Mtb world champ, i think. and that other valverde dude also comes from a mtb background. sure theres a few more.

Micheal Rasmussen as well. Both are great for training find a balance as to what works for you and go for it.

Floyd wasn't a world Champ, he was a bloody good Mtb'er however. It was the Chicken (Mickael Rasmussen) that was World Champ in '99, also Cadel Evans, phenomenal Mtb'er, in fact there are quite a few of them in the pro-tour.