DIY Cree LED bike light

mountain_lion

I see the prices on www.cutter.com.au on the LEDs is down quite a bit from the last time I ordered. It's actually very close to dealextreme and those sites, maybe worth checking out for the guys who want to order leds...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the TaskLED website for bFlex drivers are also back up and running again.

Can someone tell me how long it takes for dealextreme to ship LED's?

I see the TaskLED website for bFlex drivers are also back up and running again.

Can someone tell me how long it takes for dealextreme to ship LED's?

14 days to 3 months

I have bought a MCE 18560, a single Q5 flash lights and some Q5 LED's and drivers from DX that make a lot of light, BUT, it comes with a lot of frustration and reworks. The quality of workmanship is crap with a capital K and sometimes it is like opening a lucky packet because you never know what it is that they have shipped. (wrong SKU numbers etc.)

On the lead time issue I would agree with Sampie. I am now trying to track a parcel that was shipped from Hong Kong on the 5th of May.

Be warned!

I am still waiting for my Cree's Q5, but decided to order three 1 watt led's with a housing from Rabtron so I can get my setup right. I figured I would rather pop a couple of R29.00 led's first, than ruin my Q5's on the first go. I think even with 1w LED's the light should be much better than what I have now.

I have bought a MCE 18560' date=' a single Q5 flash lights and some Q5 LED's and drivers from DX that make a lot of light, BUT, it comes with a lot of frustration and reworks. The quality of workmanship is crap with a capital K and sometimes it is like opening a lucky packet because you never know what it is that they have shipped. (wrong SKU numbers etc.)

On the lead time issue I would agree with Sampie. I am now trying to track a parcel that was shipped from Hong Kong on the 5th of May.

Be warned!

[/quote']

Waiting for 4 parcels that was sent 2 May, phoned customs, all i get "Not in the country yet" Eish!

Here is a joke for you. I placed 2 orders on Friday the 5th of May for some optics and glass lenses. The second order arrived yesterday and the 1st has arrived in JHB. I am still waiting for my missing parcel.

I took my 1st home made light  for a test ride  yesterday morning. 1 X Cree Q5 + 1 X 23mm optic + a cheap and nasty driver from DX. It works but I want more so I will be ordering my B-Flex driver today. 4 X Cree Q5's might just do it!

In 5 years of buying and selling small items off the internet, over 200 total, I've never lost a parcel with SAPO...

The past 3 months I've lost 5 incoming parcels from Hong Kong.... and one from South Korea.

Tracking system on HK Post gives a date when item has left HK... When phoning SAPO, they inform you that the item has never been scanned in SA and thus 'not arrived'

What do you think the possibility is that SAPO/SARS is dumping a percentage of small parcels to ease their workload...?

Or is there a possibility that HK post are loosing the parcels somewhere in transit and it never arrives in SA?

50% of the goods I've bought the last 3 months 'have not arrived' in SA yet, even though HK post gives a date it left HK... (normally 2 to 4 days after order was placed..)

Pretty close to giving up....
Brighter-Lights2009-06-12 02:54:17

In 5 years of buying and selling small items off the internet' date=' over 200 total, I've never lost a parcel with SAPO...

The past 3 months I've lost 5 incoming parcels from Hong Kong.... and one from South Korea.

Tracking system on HK Post gives a date when item has left HK... When phoning SAPO, they inform you that the item has never been scanned in SA and thus 'not arrived'

What do you think the possibility is that SAPO/SARS is dumping a percentage of small parcels to ease their workload...?

Or is there a possibility that HK post are loosing the parcels somewhere in transit and it never arrives in SA?

50% of the goods I've bought the last 3 months 'have not arrived' in SA yet, even though HK post gives a date it left HK... (normally 2 to 4 days after order was placed..)

[/quote']

Johannes, is there no way of registering the parcel to ensure it gets here? sorry to hear that you are experienceing such issues. I know that you are so pumped to get the solo 580 out!!

I am going to try Taskled. Last time I looked they were going for 30$. I am not sure what they will charge for shipping and our local taxes.  www.taskled.com

Hi Jean,

the price is $35 which includes shipping. No taxes involved.

Thys

PS: I received mine about 6 weeks ago but unfortunately it developed a fault. I am sending it back for repair / replacement. You can also get these from Cutter is Oz.

Hi thysmeades

Thanks, did you use a Paypal account or did you do a direct payment to Taskled?

Any suggestions on optics? My first optics were the same ones that Mountain Lion fitted into the plumbing couplers. I find them to give a good throw with a bright hot spot in the middle with not such a great spill. Could be due to them being 8 degree reflectors.

<FONT face="Tms Rmn">

Hi thysmeades

Thanks' date=' did you use a Paypal account or did you do a direct payment to Taskled?

Any suggestions on optics? My first optics were the same ones that Mountain Lion fitted into the plumbing couplers. I find them to give a good throw with a bright hot spot in the middle with not such a great spill. Could be due to them being 8 degree reflectors.

[/quote']

Paypal is easiest, and has a measure of buyer protection (not that you'll need it with George, but for other things it's good to remember)

As for the lenses, it depends on your application. For a triple emitter bar mount MTB light, I find a 14 to 16 degree beam works well. For a single, 8 to 10 is good, otherwise you'll lose intensity where you need it. A reflector will give a tighter beam with a sharper edge, so it's good for throw but not for spill. Optics have a softer transition, so they're good for floods and bar mount lights.

The best is just to order a few optics and test them out before you build your housing and see what works for you.droo2009-06-15 03:16:42

In 5 years of buying and selling small items off the internet' date=' over 200 total, I've never lost a parcel with SAPO...

[/quote']

I thought it was only me, 4 parcels that left HK 2 and 5 May, phone SAPO with tracking numbers, all i get "Not in the country yet." Contact my supplier and all you get is to wait a few more days.

sampie2009-06-16 15:09:15

Chaps it seems as if May was a bad month for shipping out of HK.Angry

Tech question: any one tried a triple MCE here locally and if so what driver did you use?