New marathon WB

Mudsimus

With a time of  02h 03m 57s   Haile Gebre Selassie broke the world best time in the Berlin marathon. Lightning fast...Shocked Mud Dee2008-09-28 03:12:34

Wow! That is ridiculous! I am in awe of Gebreselassie and Tergat. Watched them race live a few times when I was an athletics writer in the 1990s and just marveled at the apparent ease at which they run such a fast pace. Wonder if we'll see a sub-2 in our lifetime? Weird to think that just over 50 years ago, a sub-4 minute mile was the big barrier in athletics and that record is now at 3:43!

Why do the women need pacemakers? Great time by the russian, but would she have done it if she didnt have that guy to pace her all the way. Maybe we should get someone on a scooter to pace Haile to a sub 2h...Big%20smile

Wow! That is ridiculous! I am in awe of Gebreselassie and Tergat. Watched them race live a few times when I was an athletics writer in the 1990s and just marveled at the apparent ease at which they run such a fast pace. Wonder if we'll see a sub-2 in our lifetime? Weird to think that just over 50 years ago' date=' a sub-4 minute mile was the big barrier in athletics and that record is now at 3:43!

[/quote']

It really puts things into context when you consider that even today more people have climbed Everest than have broken the 4minute mile...... yet if you go sub 4 it won't even make most dedicated national athletics magazines!

The thing that gets me most is the speed at which the womens endurance events times are closing in on the mens - remember it's really not so long ago that the longest womens event at the Olympics was the 800m. Paula Radcliffe may not medal at major championships but when you look at the times she runs it's mind blowing

PPWTF2008-09-28 03:32:37

I read this article somewhere (think it was in an article in an ultra running mag) about the limit of human endurance and performance compared to the VOmax of particulat athletes. They compared world record performances of Gebre Selassie in the 10 000m and found that his maximum would be somewhere in the region 2:03.35 or there about.

I don't think he will break 2:00.00 for he Marathon but someone else will. Bekele has already broken his records on the track for the 10 000m.

4min is a long time...about 1.3km at that pace!

BUT, this oke is old. imagine if he had concentrated on marathons in his peak? (surely he's past it, right?!).

amazing to see that one of the greatest athletes ever (done a sub 4 mile and three fastest marathons ever) only won two olympic medals.

It's actually phenomenal that both records were broken on the same day.

I would imagine that the drop between the start and finish lines is within the specified limits.

The Thug2008-09-29 03:36:08

BUT' date=' this oke is old. imagine if he had concentrated on marathons in his peak? (surely he's past it, right?!).

amazing to see that one of the greatest athletes ever (done a sub 4 mile and three fastest marathons ever) only won two olympic medals.
[/quote']

At 35 he is still at his prime for marathons, and he has the speed from his younger years racing track distances.

Hopefully he can push it (the WR) under 2.03, before he retires.

Scary thing is most seasoned runners could not run 1km at his average marathon pace Embarrassed (Sub 3 minutes / km)

BUT' date=' this oke is old. imagine if he had concentrated on marathons in his peak? (surely he's past it, right?!).

[/quote']

Old? Not really. At 35 he's the right age for marathons and has the track speed necessary from his earlier years. And the only two Olympic medals he won were both gold in the 10000 (Atlanta and Sydney) making him only the third (I think) runner in history to defend the 10000. If I remember correctly, he had quite a serious Achilles tendon injury just before the Athens Olympics and ended up running so as not to let his country down. I think he got bronze in the 10000m.

He's also held world records and world bests for 2000m, 2 miles, 3000m, 5000m, 10000m, 10km 15km, 10 miles, 20km, half marathon, 25km and marathon. He also holds running's hour record (21285m). As far as I am concerned, he is the greatest distance runner of all time (so far!).

Why do the women need pacemakers? Great time by the russian' date=' but would she have done it if she didnt have that guy to pace her all the way. Maybe we should get someone on a scooter to pace Haile to a sub 2h...Big%20smile[/quote']

The men often have pacemakers too for the first half of the race. Usually when they're attempting a crack at a world or course best time.

I would imagine that the drop between the start and finish lines is within the specified limits.

There is indeed a limit in the drop over specific distances.  I used to know it, but will look it up and let you know.

There is indeed a limit in the drop over specific distances.  I used to know it' date=' but will look it up and let you know.

[/quote']

I might be mistaken (and I probably am) but a figure that sticks in my mind is 60 metres on the marathon.