"For Dick: H/R Matters!"

smileys/smiley4.gif

Ok so yesterday we spoke about RHRate's & related topics on genetics etc so I decided to give it a go yesterday afternoon:

Dick I chose a 23.5km loop I ride often wich incorporates some hills (no easy one's) and some long stretches heading down Ontdekkers from Westgate.smileys/smiley11.gif

My results as per Polar Monitor:

RHR: 44 (Before leaving home)

H/R 5 min's into ride: 135

Home:-Results: H/R 170bpm

Speed Av. 30.7km/h

Speed max: 65.7

Cadence av. 101

Cadence max: 139

Ride Time: 46.00.1 (stops,traffic lights etc included)

Calories: 755

Crunch for me was to see how quick my H/R dropped from 170 to 100 or below 100? I timed it when I got home put the bike down & sat on a chair; time it took: 8minutes from 170 to 100bpm.

Now if I'm correct I may have been racing at 92% of max which is 185. An hour later I took my reading again and it was 45...before I went to bed the reading came to 36 and this morning it read 32.

This is just my observations I've been carrying out for some time now to see what progress I've been making and to see how my body adapts to sudden bursts of sprints etc...Believe me I was in pain after that..smileys/smiley11.gif

"DTsmileys/smiley4.gif"

****... your resting pulse is great / low ... what is your age... normally someone young cant get their resting pulse that low. from what you say your max is I think your age is approx 30... shows some potential.

170 TO 100 seems slow.. but I must try measuring it one day on myself maybe its really good??

smileys/smiley4.gif

If U mean 170 to 100 in 8min's Is that what U mean by slow??

Why don't a few of the hubbers do this & train/race at their max & report back taking readings as I've done then compare??

"DTsmileys/smiley4.gif"

Yeah, "in 8 minutes" difficult to do on a training ride as the last few kms are usually very slow so I'll be measuring 130 to 100! but I'll try it on a stationary trainer!

Interesting reading DT. By chance my swim session yesterday was very similar to your ride although the distances are vastly different the times and efforts can be compared. This is how it went:

RHR: 52 (on getting in pool, so not true resting. It was 44 in the morning)

H/R 5 min's into swim: 147bpm

Finish: 173bpm (91% of max)

Swim Time: 40.01.8

Calories: 602

HR dropped from 173 to exactly 100 in 1.01.7 which I take as the most important figure as it shows the ability to recover quickly (most important in triathlon). This is something I specifically train because the transition from swim to cycle is the hardest one and you have to be in control before you can start to push on the bike.

smileys/smiley4.gif

Very good figures Sir Fed....especially the Hr dropping down in that time...If U can take your resting heart rate say every morning just for interest sake...I'd like to know what it is...

"DTsmileys/smiley4.gif"

Already do that, varies between 40 and 44 depending on the level of effort the previous day. I work late nights so I am always a bit short on sleep (and recovery) but on the odd occassion that I am able to get more than 5 hours sleep a night it will drop down to 38 but that only happens once a year when I go on holiday.

smileys/smiley4.gifsmileys/smiley4.gif

CVANC ----- I have news for U mate: I for a very long time questioned my genetics i.e size of leg muscles/body frame/weight etc...until I paid strict attention to the TDF & the Classics etc....did some research into my family tree history & what I came up with was remarkable...amazing what U figure out when U speak to family etc.....I went for tests on blood/metabolism etc because I thought at one time I'm sick---turned out +

Nevermind that but truth be told I'm happy the way I am now...who care's about big legs...Doreen I'll see U in winter!!

"DT smileys/smiley4.gif"

DRIVETRAIN - CVANC jnr. would just like a nice and slow RHR, but the best I can do is 55. smileys/smiley1.gif 

DT - You probably race with the licensed vets? to sustain output at 170 - 185 takes some doing. The drop from 170-100 does seem slow. I am 44 with a max of 177 and when fit do intervals at 168-170 . After 6-8 of these my pulse drop from 170-100 in 2-3min. My resting pulse is always approx 42-44 never lower?

Keep it up... your max definately comes down every year I have found. I becomes more important for me to do intervals at 85-92% so I can stay with bunches on hills in races.

Chow

smileys/smiley4.gif

Yeah I'm working on that Mickey...since I've got back on the bike I promised myself some work..I need to get it lower than 8min's. On the contrary I don't race with the Vet's but do try & keep up as best I can.

I'll see what the next few races does for me !!!!!!

"DTsmileys/smiley4.gif

DRIVETRAIN - CVANC jnr. would just like a nice and slow RHR' date=' but the best I can do is 55. [img']smileys/smiley1.gif[/img] 

Resting HR is not really a measure of much but rather the difference between your resting and max HR's, i.e. heart rate reserve. This is the size of your engine and a young rider of around 20 will have a max over 200 and a resting around 50 (HR reserve 150) whereas an older rider might have a resting HR of 40 but max at 180 (HR reserve of 140). The younger rider has a bigger range and will usually handle aneorobic workout far better than the older rider.

As a 25 year old I had a HR reserve of 165bpm, that was huge and I benefited from it, 10 years later it's 150 and I can feel the difference.

Sir Fed38820.5823611111