Upgrade Advice Needed...

Cycle Fan

Hi guys, need some advice on best upgrade option. I currently have a 2006 Raleigh RC4500. Has a mix of 105 (STI's + Rear derailleur) and Tiagra parts, Shimano WH550 wheels, Shimano pedals, Selle Italia seat. Done around 1200km. I'm wanting to upgrade without spending a fortune. Here's the question:

Do I look at upgrading frame to maybe carbon for around R2k and then slowly upgrade all parts to 105 OR

Do I sell the whole bike and put the cash to buy a good second hand bike? What would a reasonable price be for my bike?

Thanks in advance for the advice....

So you have got too much money and want to spend some, just because you can.

buy whatever you are keen for, or be reasonable and only buy what you need, which might actually be nothing.

WTF does everyone want carbonfibre for?

Be aware that when getting a new frame you might neeed a few new parts as well (perhaps new for becuase shaft too short, new stem beause upper tube different lenght, new BB, front derralieur because different tube diametre (or do you do that with spacers only nowadays?), seat post because different tube diametre,...) which add to the sum spent. new cables and housing should be used. If you get it done at your LBS be sure they'll tell you the chain, casette and cluster needs to be changed URGENTLY and your brake blocks are dry. of course the tyres could be better as well and since they are already doing it, how about a new gel-type griptape for 2000 rands?...

agh, it's and neverending, be constantly re-occuring situation.

I know, not helpful Approve

TheLegend2008-10-11 03:54:39

Get carbon its worth it! I mean, maybe if you're riding twice a week it isn't. BUT if you're riding lots its worth the cash... There is a really really big difference...

Oh and remember, the frame and the wheels are what count. Speedi2008-10-11 04:12:09

Nah, it's the legs boet, the legs. The frame, gearing and wheels help, but why do you need Carbon?

Lance Armstrong says it's not about the bike and I think he's probably right.

Nah' date=' it's the legs boet, the legs. The frame, gearing and wheels help, but why do you need Carbon?

Lance Armstrong says it's not about the bike and I think he's probably right.

[/quote']

Lance only said that cos he had a decent bike to start with, and he didnt have to pay for it either Big%20smile

Get decent wheels!

Best "bang for the buck" upgrade you can make.

ok to make this statement true it would mean that i didnt have my best ride of my life on a set of borrowed wheels from my girlfriend they were a set of shimano Whr500 wheels (really cr@p in most peoples opinion) but have you actually ridden anything worse or anything better

i posted a time of 2h02 minutes in the bela bela classic on a set of 1650ZAR wheels so seriously people its not about the components you use its all about eating right riding often enough and using the correct supplements for the right reasons another thing is people are waaaaay too serious about what bikes they ride

well get this i ride a 10kg bianchi and i can still keep up with the elites on thier sponsored 6.8kg bikes

upgrade when the parts break or really need repairing not because you think it will look good to ride a new bike everyday

Get the best wheels you can get, put on the best rubber you can buy, some lightweight rimtape and lightweight tubes and you will have done the bulk of the work, the rest is primarily aesthetic and minor improvement.

I wouldnt spend R2k on a carbon frame, you are not going to get much for your money, possibly second hand, I would never buy second hand carbon unless I knew its history, in detail.

I wouldnt bother upgrading the remaining tiagra to 105, just upgrade when they wear out.

Get decent wheels!

ok to make this statement true it would mean that i didnt have my best ride of my life on a set of borrowed wheels from my girlfriend they were a set of shimano Whr500 wheels (really cr@p in most peoples opinion) but have you actually ridden anything worse or anything better

i posted a time of 2h02 minutes in the bela bela classic on a set of 1650ZAR wheels so seriously people its not about the components you use its all about eating right riding often enough and using the correct supplements for the right reasons another thing is people are waaaaay too serious about what bikes they ride

well get this i ride a 10kg bianchi and i can still keep up with the elites on thier sponsored 6.8kg bikes

upgrade when the parts break or really need repairing not because you think it will look good to ride a new bike everyday

ClapClapClap

Agreed, I rode Sub3 argus on a Raleigh RC3000

Get what you can afford and let your legs do the talking

Get decent wheels!

With the price of bicycle components these days I would buy the best I can afford purely from the point of quality and durability. I could also do a good time on a relatively cheap set of wheels, but when you riding day in and day out on the same set of wheels they won't last very long. The same goes for the gruppo. The only place I would skimp is on the frame as their is no wear and tear on it like the gruppo for example.

Get decent wheels!

With the price of bicycle components these days I would buy the best I can afford purely from the point of quality and durability. I could also do a good time on a relatively cheap set of wheels' date=' but when you riding day in and day out on the same set of wheels they won't last very long. The same goes for the gruppo. The only place I would skimp is on the frame as their is no wear and tear on it like the gruppo for example.
[/quote']

I'm afraid that's just garbage.  Components do not become more durable as they get more expensive, just lighter.  105/Veloce/LX/X7 will usually be the most durable.  As for wheels - 32/36 spoked wheels with a decent rim and 105/LX/Veloce or better hub will last the longest and provide probably the best bang for your buck.

That all said, a bike you like is a bike you'll ride.  So get what you like because you should spend a lot of time riding it.