How was your Shova?

keith

Hey guys I did my first Shova yesterday and loved it! The weather was perfect and the course beautiful! Having full road closure is awesome! That cold coke at the finish went down like no other coke has! How did everyone find it? keith2008-10-19 23:51:34

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was also my first - great race!!! Was seeded with the VAs (the organisers made a mistake - I should have been in about the G open category based on my seeding index) and was old that I could not drop back and start with a more appropriate group (doing so would have meant that my time would be based on me leaving PMB at 06h20).  It's very quiet with the VAs ...

My race was good, i manged to take a whole 70min out last years time. shows what some training can do.

Hey Keith what was your time.

Got dropped going up Fox hill - what's new. Will have to work harder next year to stay with the leading VB's. Still finished with a respectable 2:45.

Still has to go down as my favourite race.

At least you got up Fox Hill. I went and warmed up and as I was about to roll down to the start(4 km out) when I heard that dreaded noise of a tubby going down.

Had a record time back to Durbs. About one and half hrs (in the car).

Had a great ride for the first 50 kays in the VAs. Finally getting some form back, dished out some hurt up Fox Hill and played a part in making the break of 10. We were working well together and making good progress, felt nice and comfortable...but punctured at Cato Ridge and that was the end of the ride for me. Luckily Chris Naude, our commissaire, took pity and gave me a ride, which also meant being able to watch the race unfold. The breakaway was whittled down to 5 in the last 10 kays, with David Garrett, Johan Labuschagne, Anton Smal, Kosie Laubscher, Tat Brummer. In the end, David and Kosie slipped away, Johan bridged just in time for the sprint, but Kosie overpowered them both for the win. DG second and JL 3rd.

I enjoyed the race, rode in & group.  The mist for the first 30km made the racing a bit more hectic.  After having done Suikerbosrand last week I was almost a bit dissapointed with the hills and how the bunch stayed together.  The cateyes were a constant thing to look out for (I like my wheels round).  Once on the highways I'll admit I have never done 80km/h for such a long time on a bicycle.  The sprint at the end was interesting.  I've never been in a sprint where the pace is the same as it has been for the last 7km or seen someone have a more brutal wipeout right next to me in a sprint.  Finnished with a 2:34.

Good time GIRR- yeah the cateyes were too be avoided! For my first time I thought it was a lekker race- I've never flown up Inchanga so quickly!

As always, I enjoyed the ride. Still my favourite road race.  Did a reasonably comfortable 3:15 after spending nearly 4 hours on the singletrack around Giba on Saturday.  Highly recommend the double - perhaps with a few more riders at the MTB race I will actually see other riders the last 2 hours.

Had a really disappointing ride, like a comedy of errors. I was all set up for a PB after my Hub amble on Saturday morning with Andrew Bell, Keith, Veloce, Wonder Woman and a few others.

After a 6:59 start, aiming for sub 3:30, I punctured at the top of Fox Hill. Take off tyre and fit tube. Valve of the replacement tube snaps off. Shxt. Back off with the tyre, and one of the tyre levers goes flying off across to the other side of the road. Run across road, dodging traffic, in my SPD shoes. Get the 2nd tube in. Fit tyre back, start pumping. Hattons arrives to floor pump up to 7 bar. Set off 15 minutes later. Had hung in with the C bunch nicely, now have to overtake hundreds, working on my own, most of the way.  At one stage couldn't see anybody through the mist, what if I'd missed a turn- hahahaha! Picked up a good spell with the two Dig It boys and a Burry look alike- thanks guys. Spent 3:35 riding, so missed my 3:30. Bummer. Next time.

Yang good story! Had me laughing! Next year you'll break 3:30! Maybe it was Burry you were riding withWink