Transportation

jonnow

So, Which do you prefer:  

54 members have voted

1. 1. So, Which do you prefer:

• Roof racks
    • Town bar mounting

I just want to get an idea of which type of transport methods other cycalists use, but more so the reason why they choose that type ie: ease of use, costs ect...

Input would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I take more than 3 bikes then I put a blanket over the tailgate and hang the front wheels over the tailgate of my bakkie. If I carry 3 or less then I use my hitch bike carrier

I currently use the backseat/boot of my car, but in December I am making the trek with the family down to the South coast and i'm not going to fit the bike and all my crap for 3 weeks in the car. So i need to find a better way of transporting the bike and the rest of my junk...

I currently use the backseat/boot of my car' date=' but in December I am making the trek with the family down to the South coast and i'm not going to fit the bike and all my crap for 3 weeks in the car. So i need to find a better way of transporting the bike and the rest of my junk... [/quote']

Looks like you don't have an other alternative than to ride with two carsBig%20smile- you and your baby in the one, the family and all your other junk in the otherLOL

Back seat for races etc.

Roof rack for long trips when I need to carry extra people or luggage.

I was told that mounting a tow bar on my car (Polo hatchback) would require them to cut a hole in one of the rear panels, so towbar rack was out. Boot-mounted was out since it becomes a bit of a mission to open the boot when the bike's attached.

I just want to get an idea of which type of transport methods other cycalists use' date=' but more so the reason why they choose that type ie: ease of use, costs ect...

Input would be greatly appreciated!
[/quote']

Jonnow ... what type of car do you have, hatch back, sedan etc.? Thule make very good hatchback type bike rack ... have a look at Thule's website ... and the quality is outstanding ...If money is not an issue, try and go for the towbar thule type ...

I have a Corsa hatch Klapperknop. I don't have a tow bar yet, but I can get one installed if need be. I'm looking for ease of use as a top priority, but I also need to make sure that the rack is safe and my insurance will cover me if the bike is stolen off my car... 

Jonnow, do yourself a favour and just have a look at the Thule Hatch Bike Rack; the one where you do not have to take off the front wheel nor hang the bike on the bikerack .... very neat and practical.

I have the Thule clip on on my Golf.

No towbar necessary.

Easy to install/remove.

The rack can't be removed without the hatch being open.

Easy to lock bikes to the rack (with a bike chain/cable).

Cost was very reasonable then (2004).

Very good quality (I use it weekly).

Holds any 3 single bikes easily (use pool noodles to protect bikes).

I use small lengths of tyre liner for extra protection on the bodywork.

Thule Proride on the roof. Once the bike is secure on the roof very difficult for anything / one to tamper with it or reverse into it. Just remember low bridges and low flying ducks.Embarrassed

Had a roof rack once. Also had my roof-rack-mounted bike go through my rear windscreen as I parked my car under low shade-cloth. Cry

I use the Thule 947 tow bar mount. works great, really convenient for 3 bikes, access the boot easily, bike doesnt get scratched as it sits on the carrier and is not hanging, no mess inside the car after a mtb ride - great value for money if your bikes are more than 10k.