Are bike shops surviving in this economy?

Groot Lem

I heard a rumour that one bike shop has orders for 8 Astana Treks, the frame alone is R50,000....

There is still a lot of money out there. Fewer sales, but bigger margins. Those who can afford it, are going to flaunt it.

Mampara you ever ridden a carbon Specialized? Crap is not an adjective I would use, not sure why you have a bug up your behind about carbon fibre. Can you elaborate?

I see it like this.

Bob has some cash to blow because he has worked hard and wants to reward himself. He cant really afford the new BMW which he would have got any other time. Decides to get a new carbon Spez because it strokes his ego just as much but doesnt burn his pocket for 48 months.

well' date=' either way, he is buying crap.

[/quote']

Yoh Ouch - one day Parra you and I will meet ............ Wink

Last week at one of the LBS I was in there was three sales done within an hour of the best bikes he had on display. The one guys spent R76000-00 without blinking on his new stead. I guess the credit crunch is only for a select few. Cleary some LBS will not be hard hit in these times as said shop is at least 56years old and the owner has been through it all before. His motto count the pennies and the pounds look after themselves' date=' treat man off the street the same as your biggest spender. [/quote']

I know of a good few LBS's who would do well to remember this little nugget...