10spd Clusters ...Question

gasant112

• 2 weeks later...

whats nice about the 10 spd is the fact that the last 3 rings are loose so you can replace them depending on the race, for something like the tour de lesotho( race from hell) you remove your 11 and 12 and 13 and put a 25 25 and 27 on

whats nice about the 10 spd is the fact that the last 3 rings are loose so you can replace them depending on the race' date=' for something like the tour de lesotho( race from hell) you remove your 11 and 12 and 13 and put a 25 25 and 27 on[/quote']

Hey Poika, the guy at my LBS said that I can't swop out the 11 (smallest gear on cluster), 'cause that gear is used to tighten the whole cluster onto the rear wheel.  Is he giving me some crap info or are you mistaken?

It can be an 11 or 12 at the bottom, if you change the smallest you also need to change the associated lock ring.

It can be an 11 or 12 at the bottom' date=' if you change the smallest you also need to change the associated lock ring.[/quote']

Hypothetical question TitusTi:  So say for instance I want to use my current cluster without the 11 or 12, start at 13 and run all the way up to 27.  Where do I get the associated locking ring for my 13?

Now that'll be a special item, you should be able to find one off a junior cassette? Your LBS should be able to help you out on this. Why not just drop the 12? Then you have a nice low end as well as the top end? What you currently using?

I think about the most reasonable cassette around at the moment is the SRAM 11-26, lots of usable gears there.

Campagnola only have two lock ring sizes, one for 11 and and one for 12 and up.

Not sure about Shimano, but I think that the starter cog is the special, which must have an intergrated spacer, and not the lock ring. 

Titus, like I said "Hypothetical".  I'm happy with my 12/23 but would have liked to have 11/23 in stead.  My big ring is only 52 and SmallRebel tends to make me suffer on the flats to keep upEmbarrassed

I've given my old roadbike to my sister and was concerned that the 11/24 would be too heavy for her with the 52/42 crankset.  I wanted to swop the 11 for a 28 but the guy at the shop said "no can do".

Turns out my sister is ok with the 24 so that is sorted for now...